HDD detection issues

TGA

Gawd
Ok guys I am having problems with a PC that I haven't been able to solve. I will admit I have a few things to test still but while I do I thought maybe you guys could give me some feed back.

The system is a C2D (known good since it was my old CPU. The board is a NIB Gigabyte P35 chipset. The hard drives are 2 300gig seagates from my friends old PC this system is an upgrade for him. The power supply is an Antec modular unit somewhere in the 400-500watt range. Also from his old PC.

When I first built the system I only had one of his 300gig droves in it. Everything went well and the OS installed and updated with out issue. Later on I added the other 300gig and his old IDE drives so he could pull his files off them. Again everything was working fine.

The problem started when I removed the IDE drives and plugged his burner back in. After I removed the IDE droves the BIOS refused to detect any of the drives that are connected. I spent 20min trying everything I could thing of and finally walked away. Latter in the day I turned the PC on and it detected the drives just fine so I let him take the PC home. 2 days later he calls me and tells me the system shut off on him while surfing the web and isn't detecting the drives again. I am going to test a different power supply in the system but really doubt that is the problem. In no way should it be struggling to provide the needed power on boot up.

So anyone else ever seen anything like this? I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks, Tom

Back