HDMI audio on Nvidia cards?

kam03

Weaksauce
Does anyone know if the audio output via HDMI on Nvidia cards work the same way as the AMD cards? I have a 290x that does bitstreaming audio so my receiver will display DTS Master audio, Dolby TrueHd etc when the content is sent through and for games and everything else i get 5.1 PCM audio. Is this the same for Nvidia equivalent?

Thanks

Yes,
I moved from a 290x to a 980 and the passage of audio over HDMI is no different.

Apart from I am now guaranteed to have a working audio device to use on my 980.
One reason I sold the 290x is because HDMI audio devices kept disappearing because the driver kept thinking HDMI devices were DVI devices and vice versa.
AMD have a strange way of getting audio out, only HDMI devices can pass audio.
So DVI devices have to be classed as HDMI to pass audio but they often arent and the driver mistakes HDMI for DVI as well, grrrrrrr.
Back ass stupid, made my brain fry.

I have a question about this.. I also get my sound from my video card to a reciever, but I keep it at DIRECT or STRAIGHT which I was told were the best.

Should I be using DTS/dolby/etc if the software supports it? how would I do that? sorry for the noob questions. I have a 5.1 setup.

What do you mean by direct or straight.
Are they settings on your receiver?

There are no settings on HDMI out for Dolby etc.
Those are compression settings used by a soundcard when sending audio over SPDIF.
Movies can use different audio codecs that are streamed directly to the receiver over HDMI, such as DTS HD.
If your receiver can decode them then it will work. If not, set the movie player to output PCM which tells the player to decode it.

What do you mean by direct or straight.
Are they settings on your receiver?

There are no settings on HDMI out for Dolby etc.
Those are compression settings used by a soundcard when sending audio over SPDIF.
Movies can use different audio codecs that are streamed directly to the receiver over HDMI, such as DTS HD.
If your receiver can decode them then it will work. If not, set the movie player to output PCM which tells the player to decode it.

yeah those are some of the settings on my receiver. So if I set a game to one of those things it'll just send that kind of audio to the receiver?

I jumped on diablo 3 and I saw in sound settings Pro Logic along with the standard 2.1,5.1,etc I changed to Pro Logic but my receiver still says PCM when i press info, no matter if im in direct, straight, or standard.

so is it actually using Pro Logic even though the receiver says PCM?

Whats the best thing to set it to? (in game and on receiver) I have a yamaha V573

sorry for the thread derail.

Be careful, some Nvidia cards don't like doing HDCP through receivers (so if you are playing Blu-Ray, Media Center.

Intel GPU works, AMD 7790 Card Works, PS4 Works, Chromecast works, but the NVIDIA 750Ti doesn't want to do HDCP with my Yamaha Receiver (RX-A800)..

If you are using HDMI though, you can do 7.1 channel PCM (set it up through the Windows Sound/Speaker Control Panel) - DTS, or Dolby Digital pass-thru only makes sense if you are playing Blue-Rays and want bitstreaming. If you are gaming, no need to convert it to DTS.

yeah those are some of the settings on my receiver. So if I set a game to one of those things it'll just send that kind of audio to the receiver?

I jumped on diablo 3 and I saw in sound settings Pro Logic along with the standard 2.1,5.1,etc I changed to Pro Logic but my receiver still says PCM when i press info, no matter if im in direct, straight, or standard.

so is it actually using Pro Logic even though the receiver says PCM?

Whats the best thing to set it to? (in game and on receiver) I have a yamaha V573

sorry for the thread derail.

Pro Logic is a way of encoding surround into stereo.
Its for people that have stereo only links to a surround amplifier, the amp can then decode it and give surround.
Its a lower quality audio system so if you already have surround, leave it off.
If you want to use it, you will probably need to manually tell your AVR to use prologic.
Better to leave it as 5.1 though.

Yes Direct is probably the best system to use on your AVR.

After upgrading, I put my GTX 680 in my htpc. It's connected to my VSX-80 receiver via HDMI and for most of my media playback I'm using PLEX Home Theater. With the last two HD Audio driver updates I now have the ability to output in nearly every HD audio codec my receiver can handle.

However, one issue I've noticed is VLC player doesn't like cooperating with this, and will lock to stereo output despite playing a DTS-MA encoded file with the DTS-MA audio track selected.

In both cases my receiver's audio mode is set to direct. The media being played back in PLEX Home theater will determine what mode the receiver is using to decode the raw output from the pc. So if its a DTS encode my receiver will say DTS, Dolby Digital encodes do the same thing, etc. My particular home theater setup is 7.2 system and everything is working as expected.

Last edited:
Looks like a VLC problem.
I cant help I'm afraid, I dont use VLC.
It might be an idea to chat on their forums.

Looks like a VLC problem.
I cant help I'm afraid, I dont use VLC.
It might be an idea to chat on their forums.

I quit using it as well, but due to popularity I figured its worth mentioning that VLC doesn't really play well with hdmi audio out.

Back