HDMI sound, how to clone with Radeon?

n1ce_hat

Gawd
Hey!

My friend here wants to make the display and sound clone for the kitchen and the living room. We told them to get a Radeon 6670 and hook it up using a DVI-HDMI adapter and using the other regular HDMI connector and they would be able to clone the displays and the sound. Apparently the sound will only work over the HDMI connection and it won't go through the DVI-HDMI. Does the sound go through the DVI connector at all, or does sound go through the mini displayport connector as well? Trying to find a cheaper solution than getting an HDMI distribution amplifier.

Basically what do you guys suggest doing to get this working, just need sound and video in both rooms using 1 Radeon 6670, the motherboard has optical sound as well but that should be used only if HDMI can't.

here's a high-res picture of an Asus 6670

I can't vouch for any particular one, but be careful. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cheaper ones didn't duplicate the sound, and I saw on one of the specs for a cheap one that there were a synchronization issue where you had to turn on the monitors in a particular order.

Hmm.. Looks like the radon 7000 series has a trick up it's sleeve.

audio.png

If she took her 6670 back, do you think there will be a $100-150 card with this feature?

Radeon 7770 and 7750 are [thread=1661366]rumored to be launched[/thread] in February for $149 and $139 respectively. They probably support the multiple audio stream feature as well.

Note that the 7600 and lower series are rebranded previous generation cards, so won't support it.

My Radeon 5670 is passing both high definition sound and video (i.e. BluRay) through a single DVI port (using a DVI 2 HDMI connector) just fine.

Back