Headphone Problem

krameriffic

2[H]4U
I've been using this set of Sennheiser HD555s for about 4 months now and already they seem to be breaking down. The right headphone is rattling/scratching significantly whenever it plays deep bass sounds (I have noticed it most playing Battlefield) at reasonable volumes. Not once have I played and sounds extremely loudly nor have I physically damaged it by dropping them or throwing them. It's the type of sound I would expect to hear from using way too much bass and volume, but I'm not. I'm sure it's a physical issue with the right earphone, it isn't a loose wire or any kind of interference. Sound card is an X-Fi Extreme Music if that matters.

I'm just wondering if I have any option other than RMAing them to Sennheiser to fix this?

Look at the fabric that covers the headphone driver. It's possible a hair or something stuck in it and touches the actual driver membrane, that is known to cause rattling. Just a thought.

Gautama said:
Just so you know, all sennheiser products have a 2 year warranty.

Yeah, I just don't like having to send it back if I don't have to. I don't really have a subsitute for the time it would take to get back.

Ten to one it's a hair!
I'ts a common problem with most headphones (unless you're bald).

If you want, you can take the ear pads off, remove the foam insert, and start plucking the hairs out. Careful not to touch the driver itself, as you could break it.
I'm not sure if this technically voids the warrenty though.

Must have been a hair. I fiddled around with it, picked at it, blew on it and it finally went away. Thanks for the help guys.

krameriffic said:
Must have been a hair. I fiddled around with it, picked at it, blew on it and it finally went away. Thanks for the help guys.
Glad to hear. I was surprised when I first heard of this. Someone called it a 'grattle' because it was common among grado's and it sounded like a rattle. Turned out to be what was causing the vibration in my HD590 (I thought it was a loose grill).

So, it helps to pluck the hairs out whenever you see them just to keep them in good shape.
Careful with blowing on the drivers though. Most are a fragile plastic that can deform.

Back