Headphones don't work with onboard sound

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I have a DFI LP LT P35 mobo running Win7 x64 GTX460 video card. When I plug in my headphones to the green (or any output) sound port in back of computer, no sound .. it appears that I am not able to enable "Speakers" for playback device. Digital Audio is selected and can't be changed.

I installed an old Audigy 2 and disabled the onboard .. and sound worked fine with the Audigy.
I needed the Audigy in another setup so I'm now trying to figure out how to get my onboard sound to work. I've updated the drivers from both DFI's site and straight from Realtek to no avail .. Windows says it's working just peachy .. under device manager it shows up just fine, but I also have 4 Nvidia High Definition Audio Device's showing as well .. I'm assuming from the HDMI output from my video card perhaps? ..I removed them and then updated the Realtek drivers and they just all came back like nothing happened so there doesn't appear to be any conflicts between them ..

any help would be appreciated .. the onboard sound is basically a mini card that plugs into a header via ribbon cabled on the motherboard... and yes it is plugged in.

What happens when you plug in speakers? or another set of headphones?

What happens when you plug in speakers? or another set of headphones?

the same head phones work fine with the Audigy card in my system and on other computers that I have running around my house .. I tried a different set of headphones though and they didn't work either .. I don't have any pc speakers to try, but this computer is in the living room, so I only want to use headphones on this setup

I'll try those drivers on Guru3d site and see what happens ..thanks

still no go .. only gives realtek digital output option .. speakers option is greyed out still ..

Onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS right?

Also maybe the HDMI audio interface on the video card might disable the onboard audio maybe? You have a video card with no HDMI to try?

Onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS right?

Also maybe the HDMI audio interface on the video card might disable the onboard audio maybe? You have a video card with no HDMI to try?

yes, audio is enabled in bios .. I have some other non-hdmi vid cards that I could try .. but why would the Audigy 2 card work just fine ..but not my onboard audio w/daughter card .. if I can't get this resolved with my setup as is, I suppose I'll just pick up another sound card off of the forums here then.. I'll plug in my USB headphones for now until I can find an answer as to how to enable analog or get a new sound card ... :confused::(

still no go .. only gives realtek digital output option .. speakers option is greyed out still ..

you will have to manually connect a cable from the SPDIF output from your sound card (usually a connector on your motherboard) to the SPDIF input located on your GeForce video card.

yes, audio is enabled in bios .. I have some other non-hdmi vid cards that I could try .. but why would the Audigy 2 card work just fine ..but not my onboard audio w/daughter card .. if I can't get this resolved with my setup as is, I suppose I'll just pick up another sound card off of the forums here then.. I'll plug in my USB headphones for now until I can find an answer as to how to enable analog or get a new sound card ... :confused::(

use the driver mod make it a X-fi

you will have to manually connect a cable from the SPDIF output from your sound card (usually a connector on your motherboard) to the SPDIF input located on your GeForce video card.
I'll try that .. I did that on my computer that hooked up to my tv so sound would work over hdmi ..

use the driver mod make it a X-fi
hmm ..didn't know you could do that with Audigy2 cards .. what's the benefits of doing that?

Back