Heads Up - New Intel SSD Toolbox with SSD Optimizer and Secure Erase

I'll have to check it out....particularly the "other drives" part.

For some reason my Intel Toolbox will not work on my drive anymore. I use to be able to use the TRIM function, but lately it says "no compatible drives detected" or something even though it fully sees the 160GB G2, and can use the SMART and everything else.

I can't remember if it worked after I downloaded the new Matrix drivers that allowed TRIM when in RAID mode (not the drives, but the mobo in raid mode).

EDIT: I can only view SMART for my Patriot Warp V2 on my laptop, 3 out 5 menus are greyed out and say Intel SSD's only.

Last edited:
Huh.. it decided that having Superfetch disabled is better. No thanks, RAM is faster then NAND.

@criccio: that's default behavior of Windows 7, who disabled HDD-specific technologies when you have an SSD.

@westrock2000: could you check with AS SSD whether you are using msahci or iastor.sys driver?

@westrock2000: could you check with AS SSD whether you are using msahci or iastor.sys driver?

Says iaStor

Tried the new Toolbox and I can finally manually TRIM my SSD again! And!!! It actually took longer then 2 seconds this time, took about 20...so I feel like it might actually do something now.

SMART said I had 750GB of write on 160GB G2 :cool:

This newer version only gives an error when trying to use the TRIM option, the old one worked fine.

They botched something somewhere.

Limahl: did you check if you used the normal msahci or iastor.sys driver using AS SSD? If you use another, TRIM won't work.

@criccio: that's default behavior of Windows 7, who disabled HDD-specific technologies when you have an SSD.

I just curios why that wasn't the case then. When I ran the app it said I had Superfetch on. I don't really care either way, this X-25M is stupid fast.

I believe it only works if you installed Win7 cleanly; have you done that? Or did you use some image/ghost utility?

Limahl: did you check if you used the normal msahci or iastor.sys driver using AS SSD? If you use another, TRIM won't work.

Whichever I'm using, if it worked under the 1.3 version, wouldn't you think it would keep working under the 2.0 version?

I've been using the MS drivers since day 1 afaik.

Last edited:
Full clean install straight to the SSD. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Hm well perhaps other people who actually use the Toolbox utility can help you; since i run Linux i can't comment much on it except from what i've heard from other people's experiences.

How long TRIM will take depends on how much work the SSD has to do. If you say it takes only 2 seconds that doesn't have to mean it doesn't work. It could mean that all that free space the utility tries to TRIM, is already TRIMed because you have been running with TRIM ever since. If it takes 20 seconds then i would think it would be because the SSD actually has alot of allocated data and is now TRIMing those and thus takes longer. But another explanation could also be that you might be running in IDE mode instead of AHCI which means you do not have NCQ enabled. While TRIM works in IDE mode, it is much slower and blocks any additional I/O while the TRIM command is busy. With NCQ, you can send up to 32 requests at once to the SSD.

Back