HEADS UP! Origin DB has been hacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojamijams

Limp Gawd
They don't know about it, or they just won't admit it cause hey, its EA, but their DB has been hacked. Chinese hackers of course.

Two days ago I noticed I wasn't able to log in even though I typed my password correctly. Did a reset but changed it to the same one to test it out. Then last night I started getting notices that my account has been logged in from another computer. So I changed password to something different and I haven't gotten that notice since. However I used the same password for guild wars 2 as well and really late last night I got an e-mail from Arenanet saying someone in China has been trying to log into my account.

So just a heads up. EA might admit this but by then a lot of damage can be done. Goes without saying, if you use the same login/password on Origin as elsewhere (either same login name or same email) then change those passwords elsewhere too.

But for right now, make your Origin password UNIQUE ONLY TO ORIGIN. They may very well be hacked again.

Given what you have stated it is much more likely it is "you" that have been hacked as opposed to Origin.

How do you know your Guild War 2 account wasn't "hacked" and then they used it on your Origin account?

Not possible. My password is not guessable. Well maybe in a million years running 80 gefore 680's running 24hr brute force.. you get the gist.

Someone else i know is experiencing same issues. Thus highly unlikely its just ME or that only I have a keylogger.

So no, they got hacked.

How do you know your Guild War 2 account wasn't "hacked" and then they used it on your Origin account?

Because it happened on origin first then on guild wars 2. The second they tried to access GW2, I got an email saying someone from china tried to access it. So.. origin first, everyone else second.

Because it happened on origin first then on guild wars 2. The second they tried to access GW2, I got an email saying someone from china tried to access it. So.. origin first, everyone else second.

Maybe they just sent the notification first? It might have taken a week for them to send out the notice. It would seem kind of odd that EA would send out a different computer login notification if it was their database was hacked. What changes were made to the account? Did they buy anything or play the games?

They don't know about it, or they just won't admit it cause hey, its EA, but their DB has been hacked. Chinese hackers of course.

Two days ago I noticed I wasn't able to log in even though I typed my password correctly. Did a reset but changed it to the same one to test it out. Then last night I started getting notices that my account has been logged in from another computer. So I changed password to something different and I haven't gotten that notice since. However I used the same password for guild wars 2 as well and really late last night I got an e-mail from Arenanet saying someone in China has been trying to log into my account.

So just a heads up. EA might admit this but by then a lot of damage can be done. Goes without saying, if you use the same login/password on Origin as elsewhere (either same login name or same email) then change those passwords elsewhere too.

But for right now, make your Origin password UNIQUE ONLY TO ORIGIN. They may very well be hacked again.

lol that doesn't mean origin got hacked, that just means you have no clue what computer security is.

Not possible. My password is not guessable. Well maybe in a million years running 80 gefore 680's running 24hr brute force.. you get the gist.

Someone else i know is experiencing same issues. Thus highly unlikely its just ME or that only I have a keylogger.

So no, they got hacked.

point proven.. welcome to the world of key loggers. and knowing 1 other person that has the same issues means nothing. if origin legitimately got hacked you'd see 100's of posts/threads all over the internet of people getting their accounts hacked, guess what? it hasn't happened.

Op you got hacked. Change your gw2 and origin passwords to something different. And never use the same password on a forum as a game account

lol that doesn't mean origin got hacked, that just means you have no clue what computer security is.

point proven.. welcome to the world of key loggers. and knowing 1 other person that has the same issues means nothing. if origin legitimately got hacked you'd see 100's of posts/threads all over the internet of people getting their accounts hacked, guess what? it hasn't happened.

MSE and Malware-bytes comes up clean. There's quite a few threads about origin accounts being hacked. I don't visit any websites, ever, that would host keyloggers or malicious code, nor have I even ran any installers of any kind of programs in over 2 weeks.

Please assume more about me and my background and tell me how I'm wrong again.

So no, they got hacked.

Someone else you know ALSO got keylogged? Tell me more! :p

You DO realize that in order for that to be true, you would have to have a password that is over one hundred thousand traditional Chinese characters long? A simple quad-core CPU can bruteforce a 20-digit ASCII word in less than a day.

even so, nobody uses bruteforce methods, just keyloggers and such.

Its called datamining op. I personally hate origin but its not the source of the breach. A forums account db probably was hacked or they pulled your info from something else and tried the login via origin and bam it worked. Hell, they probably got your info via gw2 (we all know how many accounts got stolen there).

The fact is, you used the same password for multiple game accounts. Never do that in this day and age. And never register for forums and game accounts with the same email.

Theres a lovely thread on diablo 3 hacking when it first came out that a lot of great info on how gold farmers steal and mine accounts and how to protect yourself.

Wow, you have a problem nobody else has and blame everyone else? How surprising and new. :rolleyes:

Phished or keylogged

Someone hacked my WoW account June, 2011 and it hadn't had an active subscription since November 2010. The Blizzard tech that was helping me recover my account told me that I had to have been account sharing for it to happen. So I had another tech look at the subscription payments made to the account and none have been made since 2010. It my fault until that point.

The only reason I found out was I added SC2 and an authenticator to my account late 2011 since some family members wanted to try it. I noticed that I had a flag on my WoW account for hacking / spamming (forgot the exact wording). The technicians did a recovery but since I didn't have an active subscription I couldn't login to move the items to my bags.

My personal guild bank got hacked February 2012. Once again no account subscription since 2010. All of my toons quit the guild according to the log; not kicked out. Someone else's account became GM. Blizzard tried to recover my guild bank but since I did it this month for MoP they said they couldn't go back to 2010 because their logs didn't go that far.

So yea everyone tells you it's your fault for having bad account security. My Gmail even does 2 step verification security and calls my home so you'd think that with an authenticator and no subscription, I would have been safe. But no, it's my fault. I should have been safer.

Cageymaru, everyone always blames someone else is the issue, if Origin was compromised, forums would be FLOODED with people about this.. and yet so far i see nothing...

The problem is most people know jack about keeping accounts secure and safe and use 1 email account and the same user and passwords for everything these days,

This is the exact same thing that happend to Blizzard. Poor security and knowledge of the end user and they blame the company. I also like your confession of not visiting websites that host keyloggers. Your ignorance of internet security is astounding to be honest.

Op you got hacked. Change your gw2 and origin passwords to something different. And never use the same password on a forum as a game account

You forgot to tell him to reformat.

Op it sounds like you got hacked. Talk to the customer service and I suggest running an av like mse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back