Heatsink for P5E-VM and MicroFly

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I am looking to get a heatsink to cool my E8400 C2D on my Asus P5E-VM, in a MicroFly case. I have seen some posts saying the Zalman 8700 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118030) will work, but they were a bit old.

Does anyone recommend any other low-profile heatsink for this?

I am currently not OCing, but I plan on it.

I would consider a non-low profile heatsink, but I'd rather be able to use the MB tray, and not have to hack my case any more. But if you think it will help my OCing quite a bit, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

not alot of good options with that case.

IIRC, If you are brave I think you can fit a Zalman 9500 if you are willing to cut part of the side case support. Maybe someone else can corroborate that.

Its been a while since I had a microfly.

Best bet is to cruise frostytech and check their reviews. They give accurate dimensions on every HSF they review.

Thanks PClark. Frosty-tech has been a great site to browse.

Looks like the Zalman 8700 is a great heatsink, and from everything I've read, will probably work. My only problem with it is the $60 price. I know good things cost $$....

I've also been considering growing some balls, and trying to stuff a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 in there. Anyone seen if this is even possible. I think it's possible to get it in there. I guess I don't mind cutting that much, but this may turn my case into a big copper/Al block :) Not much air flow after that goes in there.

I guess I just have to think about what I want, and how much it's worth!

The Microfly and its variants is a very capable case with slight modification to a portion of the right-hand side rail (opposite the PS).

Massive's Micro part 1

Massive's Micro part 2

I took Massive's idea and improved aesthetics and airflow with right/left angle SATA cables, precision cutting, twin 80mm intakes and a air duct for the CPU cooler. Currently the microfly (MX-6 version) houses a E8400 @ 3.6, a 285 video card, two actively cooled HDs, one passively cooled HD, one full size optical, a HX620 PS and a Xonar audio card. Last upgrade will be a quad core prior to matriculating to a new platform in 2010. The removeable motherboard is not really a great asset. Good luck.

Thanks PClark. Frosty-tech has been a great site to browse.

Looks like the Zalman 8700 is a great heatsink, and from everything I've read, will probably work. My only problem with it is the $60 price. I know good things cost $$....

I've also been considering growing some balls, and trying to stuff a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 in there. Anyone seen if this is even possible. I think it's possible to get it in there. I guess I don't mind cutting that much, but this may turn my case into a big copper/Al block :) Not much air flow after that goes in there.

I guess I just have to think about what I want, and how much it's worth!

you are very welcome. consider a thermalright Ultra 90 if you plan that. Its a bit smaller and doesn't perform too badly. Might be a little easier to shoehorn that in there.

Thanks setscrew, I've seen Massive's work, and it's actually what inspired me to get a MicroFly. I've hacked mine a little getting a GTX260 to fit (upping it to a GTX2755 this week.) I've also added a small fan in front of the HD mounting area, and modified the hole locations for the HD mounts a bit to spread them out and allow for more air to flow between them. May I ask what heatsink you are using, and if you like it? I'll be OC'ing my E8400 (I haven't OC'd since my Athlon XP days...)

My greatest fear is that I get some massive heatsink wedged in there, and it will block the little air flowing, making it worthless.

pclark, that ultra 90 seems to work really well. it's marks are right up there with the HDT-S1283.

I currently have the Ultima 90 installed. I will probably upgrade the heatsink when I put a quad coe in there. Massive was able to place the HR-01 plus in his Microfly. Height is not the limiting factor in the Microfly. The main concern is rubbing up against the power supply and blocking airflow with the width measurement. As the motherboard is horizontal, weight is not a real issue either.

Ultima 90
Dimension:L115 x W55 x H139 mm

HR-01 plus
Dimension: L110 x W60 x H159.5(mm)

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Dimension: L120 x W50 x H159 mm

TRUE copper
Dimension: L132 x W63 x H160.5 mm

After careful consideration, I went with the Zalman CNPS8700. I made cut-outs of the other two I was considering (HDT-S1283 and the Ultra 90), and while I'm sure I could get the to fit, they would be awfully close to the Power supply. enough to possibly negate the extra few degrees they might provide over the Zalman. Of course, this isn't for sure, but at that point, the difference was cost (and the whether or not I'd have to cut my case any more.) I don't 'mind' cutting my case, but I'd rather not. I like the idea of not having to remove the heatsink if I need to slide out the MB tray. I'd rather not pay the extra $25, but I think I would have regretted not spending it in the future. Guess I'm just gonna have to drink Milwaukee's Best for the next month to save the money.

Thanks again for all your input.

I have the xigmatek installed in my microfly.

One thing I did differently though was flip the hard drives, and used a dremel to cut a hole through the front of the case. I routed the sata cables behind the bezel of the case (of course).

That is an interesting idea Xaijin I currently have a lot of cables running around.

I got the CNPS8700 installed Friday, and it's running well. The fans on full, and it idles at 38 degrees, and maxes out at 46 during TF2 (My office is always ~90 (or higher) = 32 degrees.) The stock cooler sat around 48 degrees idling, and up to 60 during gaming. Decent drop. worth $60? not sure yet, let's see after I OC it.

Part of me regrets not getting the Xigmatek, but I can always sell this one if I'm not happy with it. I think it'll work until I get my I7.

Back