Help finding the "perfect" Netbook

NotSoSexy

[H]ard|Gawd
On a whim, today I sold my 15.4" laptop to a friend of mine and picked up an HP Mini 210-1080NR. The full-size laptop was a real chore to carry around, and I didn't use it much.

My budget is $400, but I can stretch to $500 if there is a a PERFECT machine... I'd really rather not spend that much, however.

I am perfectly happy with the size of the HP keyboard, and I think it feels fantastic to type on. HOWEVER, needing to press the Fn modifier to use the F1-F12 keys is exceptionally irritating (they map to media functions without the modifier).

The touchpad on the HP is nice enough, but the implementation of the buttons is sort of stupid. I like to rest my thumb on the button and use my finger to navigate. If I leave my thumb on the trackpad it doesn't track right, and that is rather irritating. That would be fine IF you could click the trackpad wherever to click... But no, you have to click in the marked "clicking" areas.

Are there any netbooks out there that have the same sort of fantastic keyboard as the HP, but without the limitations above? I have typed on the nice 10" Gateway, Acer, and Asus netbooks and none of them can come close to the HP as far being nice to type on.

My requirements, in order of importance:

- Must have an EXCELLENT keyboard. If the HP is as good as it gets, I will just stick with this and live with the quirks. I'd really like the F keys to be normal tho
- Battery life. I want to be able to leave the AC adapter at home
- Screen size and resolution - The bigger and higher the better, but no larger than 11" or so. The form factor of this HP is nice.
- Memory capacity
- Performance - Ability to decode HD video would be very useful, however, not a requirement if I can't get it under budget

Any thoughts?

I have the HP TouchSmart tm2 Tablet PC and there is a setting in that BIOS that allows you to switch that behavior such that the media and control functions require the pressing of the "Fn" key and the function key is the default.

Since you have an HP I bet that your machine has the same setting. Take a look if you haven't already to see if it works the same on your machine.

On a whim, today I sold my 15.4" laptop to a friend of mine and picked up an HP Mini 210-1080NR. The full-size laptop was a real chore to carry around, and I didn't use it much.

My budget is $400, but I can stretch to $500 if there is a a PERFECT machine... I'd really rather not spend that much, however.

I am perfectly happy with the size of the HP keyboard, and I think it feels fantastic to type on. HOWEVER, needing to press the Fn modifier to use the F1-F12 keys is exceptionally irritating (they map to media functions without the modifier).

The touchpad on the HP is nice enough, but the implementation of the buttons is sort of stupid. I like to rest my thumb on the button and use my finger to navigate. If I leave my thumb on the trackpad it doesn't track right, and that is rather irritating. That would be fine IF you could click the trackpad wherever to click... But no, you have to click in the marked "clicking" areas.

Are there any netbooks out there that have the same sort of fantastic keyboard as the HP, but without the limitations above? I have typed on the nice 10" Gateway, Acer, and Asus netbooks and none of them can come close to the HP as far being nice to type on.

My requirements, in order of importance:

- Must have an EXCELLENT keyboard. If the HP is as good as it gets, I will just stick with this and live with the quirks. I'd really like the F keys to be normal tho
- Battery life. I want to be able to leave the AC adapter at home
- Screen size and resolution - The bigger and higher the better, but no larger than 11" or so. The form factor of this HP is nice.
- Memory capacity
- Performance - Ability to decode HD video would be very useful, however, not a requirement if I can't get it under budget

Any thoughts?

It wont let me link it, but J&R Music World
$480 - $25 BCB

I just picked up one of these for $435 after BCB, not sure on current pricing, but at most it is $480 I believe - some BCB. It has about the best keyboard according to several reviews ,one of the faster processors for netbooks, not to mention a 8-10 hour battery, and don't forget touchscreen :).

The negatives in the reviews can be fixed(upgrade to win7 pro, 2GB ram).

I have the HP TouchSmart tm2 Tablet PC and there is a setting in that BIOS that allows you to switch that behavior such that the media and control functions require the pressing of the "Fn" key and the function key is the default.

Since you have an HP I bet that your machine has the same setting. Take a look if you haven't already to see if it works the same on your machine.

I looked through the BIOS but didn't see any options related to that. The internet didn't turn up too much in searching, either.

It's a hard thing to forgive... But the keyboard is oh so fantastic to use.

Just checked and the setting is called "Action Keys Mode" under the "System Configuration" tab in case you want to double check. I know other HP machines besides the tm2 have this option.

Just checked and the setting is called "Action Keys Mode" under the "System Configuration" tab in case you want to double check. I know other HP machines besides the tm2 have this option.

Thanks, that is what I was after. I am retarded, I looked in there two or three times and it didn't register that was the option I wanted.

Happy to help! I've gotten beaten up by iPad fans talking about the tm2 today so it's nice to know that I was able to help somebody today because of it.;)

For me, the perfect netbook is a CULV laptop. Costs a little more, but it's waaaaaay worth it. (unless you absolutely need something under 12")

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220597

(it can be found for less than $550 elsewhere)

I have a hard time justifying the extra expense, since I really don't need it. This HP 210 can play 720p files on my 1080p TV out the VGA port, which is more than enough. I also like the form factor.

I think the HP is my perfect netbook - Its cheap, has a great keyboard (and I was able to fix the function key issue!), and I've gotten used to the weird trackpad. It's nice having such a "huge" trackpad on such a small machine, so I can deal with the odd button setup.

I'm pretty happy with my Acer 1410. CULV 2300, 2GB of ram (can add more into the empty slot), plays back HD video fine and I get about 5-6 hours use out of it. I can even run Civ4 on it at decent settings (though gaming does lower the battery life a decent amount).

I'm pretty happy with my Acer 1410. CULV 2300, 2GB of ram (can add more into the empty slot), plays back HD video fine and I get about 5-6 hours use out of it. I can even run Civ4 on it at decent settings (though gaming does lower the battery life a decent amount).

Acer 1410 is amazing.

-JRW

My favorite netbook is the Dell Mini 10v for its painless installation of other operating systems that cannot be mentioned.

Yeah, I was going to buy a 10v for that exact reason, only to find out that they are no longer available except through the outlet. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to buy a refurb netbook for the same price they were selling it new. It bothers me.

Back