Help for Family Computer Upgrade

SPLENDAD

n00b
I am trying to upgrade the family computer. I purchased the “Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor – Retail” from NewEgg. I spoke with a guy at Best Buy who said these were the future, and I could find them affordably online. However, I have not been able to get it to work properly. There are extra pins, and they don’t quite match up. In my frustration a couple of the pins have been bent slightly. While straightening, I accidentally broke part of one off. I have soldered before, so not a huge concern. My main question though is if I need a converter of some sort to get this installed correctly? Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh dear lord. I've got a bad feeling about this:

- What motherboard do you have?

OH and STOP working with that CPU. Put it away until we tell you that it's safe to work with again.

It sounds distressingly like you are trying to upgrade just the CPU on an older computer, is that correct? The i7 920 requires a new and different CPU socket from any that have come before, and is not drop-in replaceable on any existing motherboard.

By pins, are you talking about pins on the motherboard socket? There shouldn't be any pins on the new CPU itself, just little solder pads.

Just so you know ahead of time, this is probably not going to end well for you.

+1 for the other two posts, being that this is a "family" computer and is in need of an upgrade it's probably an older computer with an older sotcket type so the new LGA 1366 socket CPU you got WILL NOT FIT, so DO NOT FORCE IT! Not only do the new LGA 1366 socket chips need a new motherboard they need new DDR3 RAM. Also, a i7 chip is WAY over kill for a "family" computer.

This can not be for real. You where smart enough to post this in the Intel Processor forum so i would think you know a little about what you are doing to purchase a new $300.+ chip.....

I very much doubt a guy at "Best Buy" would EVER roccommend you buy something online over trying to sell you some of their overpiced "stuff".

Best Buy advice? Extra pins? Busted pin? Soldering Iron? Converter?

STOP!
Close the case, do NOT touch anything inside ever again. Take the computer to a competent computer shop (not a chain such as Best Buy). Tell them what you want and ask them what to do. We can't help you here. You are already out the cost of the processor and don't try and RMA it to Tiger Direct.

Not real..

The simple mention of breaking pins on an intel chip gave it away for me.

Is it real or not...

Hard to say, did say that he got some advice from someone at bestbuy...:eek:

Hummm....

Hope its not real, if you did all that i HIGHLY reccomend you go to a local computer chop or even Best Buy to help you. If you really spend $300 for the CPU you are screwed out of your money for messing it up.

OMG, did I just hearing this right? Family computer and an I7 processor? I sincerely hope this is a joke.

Reminds me of this:

whonoworkda7.jpg

OP, you'll be lucky if that processor ever works when you buy the proper board for it. A LGA1366 CPU in any other socket will kill the CPU and possibly take the motherboard as well.

I am gonna die from laughter if the current motherboard uses an AMD Socket AM2 or AM3 or 939.

EDIT: Sorry I came off harsh in this post but the OP will hopefully learn a lesson from his mistake. When buying a new CPU make absolutely sure that your motherboard can support it. "Measure Twice, Cut Once." ;)

Has to be a joke, at least I would hope no one would recommend an i7 for a generic family computer upgrade with all the added cost of mobo and ddr3 right now. OP where are ya??

Please tell me he didn't do that...How can you do such a thing..it's like horror movie, i just got the picture of him wrestling with the wrong socket..clueless but determined to accomplish something which is impossible...i would beat the crap out of that guy who didn't mention that he needs compatible mobo & ram...

Back