Help me complete my second hi-fi system

c10

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I currently have a 5.1 system with 4x AV123 RS850's, RSC200 and a eD A7S 450 subwoofer.

I'm thinking I'm going to make a secondary hi-fi system for my bedroom, and take two of the RS850's to run a 2.1 system. I'll look out for, and get some RS450's to replace my old rears.

So my new setup would look like this:

Laptop streaming FLAC --> USB out --> FUBAR 3 DAC --> RCA Stereo --> ?? ... --> RS850's & yet to be determined subwoofer. I already have the Fubar 3, and I know it has the coveted Burr Brown DAC in it, so I'm ahead of the game from that department.

I'd like to get something that can put some serious power to the RS850's because everything I read says they shine with more power.

I realize I could probably get like an Outlaw Audio RR2150 Stereo Receiver. This would be a single solution, but I am not opposed to a pre/pro and seperate amp.

As for my budget... lets see, I'd like to keep it under 1500$-2k for subwoofer rs450's and ??. This is exclusively for music, and I guess possibly TV if and when I replace my home theater tv for a projector.

All suggestions welcome.

Also - I'd like to add that I'd like whatever I get to be very aesthetically pleasing. It will be the only thing in the room (no video), so I'd like to be somewhat of a conversation piece or whatnot.

The room will only be my bed, a laptop station where all of this is hooked up, and maybe like a chair to sit and read.

You want power? Get an entry-level receiver (with pre-outs of course) and an ICEPOWER amp.

D-sonic.net sells what they call the "Magnum 1000S" which is a stereo amp that pushes 525W per channel @ 8 ohms for $1575.

I've been using the 2000-5 for a few years for home theater and it will produce seemingly endless amounts of clean power with no clipping. I've needed it for a 30x18 living room.

Yamaha P2500s for an amp. It's a Class AB amp with a PWM power supply, so it's very close to the Icepower amps in efficiency but it never converts the sound itself to PWM.

I do like ICEpower, too, but I like Hypex UcD more (though diycable.com doesn't seem to be selling their UcD amps anymore), and Yamaha EEEngine more still.

I have (2) Hypex UcD 400AD modules (bare, un-used) that I'm looking to unload for the DIY'er.

You'd need to know how to construct a power-section, preferably with soft-start functionality, and then assemble this in a case with heatsinking. - But this is the least expensive route to get an amp of this type.

In any case... Icepower... Hypex... any PWM or hybrid class-D derivative amps... are all good for efficiency and space-saving, and that is their primary purpose.

Back