Help me decide...

cnealjr

Gawd
if I even need an HTPC.

I currently have a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV with HDMI inputs - model LN-R408D, with Dish Network satellite set top box with the HD package, model 811. It is connected via a DVI -> HDMI cable to the TV. I have a stand alone DVD player and an Onkyo Net Tune TX-NR901 7.1 channel receiver powering the speakers. The receiver has an ethernet port on the back of it and can play MP3's and WMA's over the network from any PC running the client software.

I was initially excited about an HTPC for being able to record HD material and regular def satellite programs, but upon more research, I found that recording HD content isn't exactly possible, except the OTA channels or networks.

I have an old Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and an AMD Athlon XP 2600 with 1GB of ram and a 128MB ATI 9800 laying around, as well as a copy of Windows MCE, but I'm not really sure that I need an HTPC, as I guess I'd have to use an IR blaster to control the dish network set top box and run inputs into the PC via component cables and then output the signal thru the 9800 pro hopefully via the same DVI -> HDMI cable that I currently have in use.

So, help me out. Any thoughts or suggestions I have overlooked? Help me decide if I even need to worry about trying to get a new case and silencing up this rig, or just stick with my current setup. Surfing on the big screen TV would be kind of cool, but I have a laptop and wireless network, and my PC is in the next room over, so I'm not 100% sure what I'd gain other than limited timeshift capabilities.

Thanks!

For something like that I probably wouldn't go with the HTPC other then to have an upsampling DVD player that also plays back your other videos (you've got the music thing already).

cnealjr said:
run inputs into the PC via component cables and then output the signal thru the 9800 pro !
i'd like to know if this is even possible, in HD?

Unless you have some serious play money you can't input component. LOL I didn't even notice it when I first read the post.

Back