Help me spend my money!

Nessus85

2[H]4U
Heres the deal, I have $478 and the following parts...

1 - One p35 SLI mobo w/512mb ddr2 667 and a p4 (thank you lass ;))
2 - One GTX 260
3 - One p6n Diamond (4x pcix16 slots)

What should I do now? Should I buy a second 260 and a 750w psu and put them on the p35? (Is a 3ghz p4 even fast enough to handle 2 gpus?) Or should I put the pentium4 in the Diamond and grab a bunch of 8800gt's and a decent power supply? Or should I buy a decent powersupply and a gtx 295 for the p35? I just don't know. There are so many choices! :eek: Help me!

lol, I can see how you're overwhelmed.

Now for folding, a P4 (as well as pretty much anything else) will be good enough to put on the p35 even if you have 2x GTX260s. GPU clients don't take hardly any CPU cycles, so that'd work.

Maybe put the P4 in the p6n though and grab some 88/9800s to put on there with a decent 550W+ PSU to get it up and going. Then find a cheap CPU to fit the p35 and another decent 500W+ PSU so you can get the GTX260 up and running. If you have any money left over from that, just try to get another GTX card (gotta keep the families the same) to go with the 260, or another card for the p6n since that will prolly be cheaper. Those PSU ratings are the bare minimum you should go though and try to get continuous rating PSUs, not peak. If they're continuous, then those ratings should be fine.

Hah, I dunno, just a suggestion. You'll have to price all the scenarios out too and go from there.

Oh, and see if Kendrak will sell you one of the CPUs from his FS thread. Seems he is trying to sell them with mobo combos, but he has more CPUs than mobos, so I don't see why he wouldn't sell separately for cheap. He's got a good selection of 775 CPUs to choose from.

Last edited:
What's the shaded count on that 260? I may sell my 3 in way for another quad 88 rig. Same points but less 6pins and no whine lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ran 4 on a P4, youll be fine, could maybe even run th standard client aswell

best value since you already have a 260, is filling that p6n up with 260s. Add in a quality 750 (850?) power supply and you're good. :)
I would sell your p35 board for ~$50 to cover the price, or put torwards a next p6n (which goes for $70 on ebay I recall).

again, whats the shader count on the existing 260? and power wise, I ran 3 260's on a 750silencer easy

damn. I got 3 260's I was thinking of unloading. They are the 192 versions. Have they fixed the shader issue yet?

Back