Help me understand monitor resolutions.

MzrSol

n00b
It is as simple as that, i am befuddled at how monitor resolutions work. I am planning on purchasing a new pc in a few months but want to purchase a new monitor now, meaning an LCD flat panel to replace my CRT i am using at this time.

I have always used 1024x768 on this setup and understand that with a new monitor and a new pc i can use the LCD as intended at 1680x1050. However i decided just now to test out higher resolutions on my CRT and every time i bumped up the resolution from 1024 the screen shrinks in size and becomes blurry and disorienting, why is this? I thought upping the resolution makes things crispier and not screen shrinking? Is this due to my monitor being a CRT and i am using a x1950 versus newer more powerful vid cards?

If i purchase my new LCD i would like to use it with this old pc until i get my new rig, is this possible with my old vid card? I know i wont be able to have 1680x1050 i think but if i could use the resolution at 1280 or 1360 but not shrunk to hell and ugly i would be happy.

HELP?!?!?!?

Well LCDs and CRTs are kind of "opposite" in a way when it comes to resolutions.

With CRTs, the more dots they have to fit on screen, the blurrier they become because the tube has a hard time showing that many pixels with enough accuracy. With LCDs, they have what's called a "Native resolution". They are sharpest and most crisp at this resolution (VERY sharp and crisp, more so than a CRT can ever be). However, if you use a resolution lower than that on LCDs it will have to "stretch" the image to the size of the panel which will make it a little blurry. It can actually be good in some cases because it can mask some jagged edges ;) It won't however give you a headache or be disorientating like a CRT.

And your X1950 will be fine, it supports up to 2560x1600 resolution :) Just remember to get an LCD with a digital input (some monitors have crappy analog connectors) and get a screen that's not a TN (twisted-nuematic) screen. TN screens tend to have colours not nearly as accurate and are usually lower quality.

P.S. I think you'll love having a large 1680x1050 desktop area! It will give you more space but won't make everything tiny and blurry like a CRT. Right now my 24" LCD is in the shop, and I'm having to use a smaller monitor with 1280x1024 resolution. It's torture; I can't imagine how you dealt with 1024x768 desktop resolution all this time :eek:

Thanks for the response, i appreciate the info you provided. Meh, i just got use to the whole 1024 resolution. That and when i would up the resolution just a little the screen would start shrinking and getting blurry and i just fled back to the safety of 1024!

Back