Help! MOBO risk to be broken!

Hi,
yesterday, mouting my mobo (z97n-wifi) in my case Antec isk 600m (so, mounted horizontally), when i mounted the video card (asus gtx 970 strix), the motherboard risked to be broken by the weight of the video card and the pressure i put to install it.
So, to avoid the problem, i put a bit of polietylene (used in the pack of the motherboard) to stabilize the motherboard and avoid any risk.
Do you think is a good idea? Will i have any problems at keeping the situation like this?
thank you!

attached photo of what i did :)

http://s30.postimg.org/y894yf169/IMG_4341.jpg

I'd probably look at putting a rubber standoff or a piece of thicker foam (depending on size) under there to help keep it a bit more straight. There's quite a bit of bend in that board at that point that I wouldn't be comfortable with keeping. If it's working tho and you're happy with it, then mission completed :). I've done similar with various closed-cell foams when standoffs weren't an option.

yes, still a little bend...i will put some thicker foam..can't imagine how was scared when i listened the "crack" sound :) but all works good ;)

Maybe if you loosen up the mounting screws (on the board and card) a little bit you can distribute more of the bend to the case from the board.

Hi,
yesterday, mouting my mobo (z97n-wifi) in my case Antec isk 600m (so, mounted horizontally), when i mounted the video card (asus gtx 970 strix), the motherboard risked to be broken by the weight of the video card and the pressure i put to install it.
So, to avoid the problem, i put a bit of polietylene (used in the pack of the motherboard) to stabilize the motherboard and avoid any risk.
Do you think is a good idea? Will i have any problems at keeping the situation like this?
thank you!

attached photo of what i did :)

http://s30.postimg.org/y894yf169/IMG_4341.jpg

How hard did you force the card in? That board should not have bent like that. If you received it that way, I would have returned it.

I haven't ever had a board do that. I am wondering if you partially warped/cracked the motherboard with too much force.or there isn't the proper number of standoffs.

That is definitely beyond normal. I've seen many motherboards with very slight bends in them over the whole surface, but nothing that drastic and sharp.

Back