Help, My Beloved NEC 20wmgx Is Stained.

Skunt

Limp Gawd
I've had this monitor for about 1.5 years and it's been great to me, but now I have some kind of wavy stain on the top of my monitor. Can anybody identify what causes this? Could it be water damage or some kind of pixel malfunction? I admit that I choked on some water and spew some on my screen, but I don't see how that would cause wavy stains at the top of my screen though. The only possible water leakage would be if the water slid down the bottom of the screen and went through where the screen meets the bezel. That happened about a month ago and I noticed the wavy lines about 2 weeks ago. If I set the background to white, red, blue and some other colors it is not noticeable. In fact, I cannot see the stain at all when I have my wallpaper on or when I browsing the internet on mozilla. Depending on what the background is, the stain could be highly apparent, somewhat apparent or not apparent at all. Also, when I first turn the computer on, the stain is lighter and will get darker after a couple hours. Anybody know what liquid damage on an lcd looks like? I hope it's not water damage because I would be screwed on the warranty.

fldis7.jpg

34p1ekm.jpg

2lj6h75.jpg

Same happened to my wife's dell 2001fp (sips), exactly the same position.I think it might be the screen broken when I was cleaning with wet paper tissues, it might be water going inside or I pushed too hard. She doesn't care about that, and the stain doesn't spread out. Anyway, it's two years old already:eek:, I might dump it later this year to get a 2490wuxi for her

It's a defect that affects 20" S-IPS panels. The same thing happened to mine. I called NEC and sent it in for repair, and the panel was replaced. I've heard of it happening with the Dell 2007WFP as well.

thanks for the info toastX, I just checked dell warranty, all dell monitors have 3 year warranty, but the monitors sold with systems only have the same warranty with the system, so my 2001FP's not under warranty anymore, definitely will get rid of it later this year to get a NEC monitor, which is much better.

Yep, it only happens to the 20" S-IPS panels. Whatever they did in manufacturing those they certainly weren't made to last.

Well, I'm damned if I do and damed if i don't. If I call Nec for a RMA, I'll be without a monitor for probably a month. I don't have another monitor and I can't go a month without using my computer. If I don't get an RMA I'll be stuck with that god awful stain.

If you do the RMA you could pick up a dirt cheap 17" CRT on craigslist to tide you over, it may not be ideal but at least its something. You might even be able to get one for free, people give them away all the time.

Well guys,

I have the same issue with my NEC GX2-TN-Panel. My issues is a bit smaller, it's a little smaller than a pencil eraser, just off center of my screen.

It looks just like a water spot, but it's behind the screen. Called for an RMA without issue.

I thought it was just me since I've never seen anything like it before, but I see it's not so uncommon.

This must be a panel universal problem because I've got the same issue with my 2707wfp. In the bottom left corner there is a line that extends maybe an inch. The line will show up more on some colors than others (grey, green) and be practically invisible on whites and blacks. Problem only appeared recently, still wondering if I should bother trying to bring it on warranty with the dell (had the monitor 3 months) edit: I've never used water on the monitor so we can scratch that off as a cause. I'm guessing it has more to do bad QC

Those aren't even the same problems. This problem is specific to 20" S-IPS panels and always appears at the top.

Those aren't even the same problems. This problem is specific to 20" S-IPS panels and always appears at the top.
On my 2005FPW, the "stain" is also in other areas. I just called Dell for warranty service. They were horrible. They assumed I had a Dell PC, they wanted me to give them control of my computer, boot into safe mode, etc. But they are sending a replacement. Hopefully it is a 2007WFP.
2005.jpg

Back