Help please! Transferring files from PC to MBP with an ethernet cable

Mayhs

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I am currently stumped, i can connect my pc and mac through my router which is fine but i have 45gbs to transfer and that method takes 20 hours, slightly too long...

So i am trying to connect it through the ethernet cable, but when i type in the IPaddress of the pc the mac cannot find the server, why is that? I have carried out the same procedures, but obviously changed the IPaddress to match the ethernet address, but its not working, any ideas?

I am using windows vista and its on a brand new macbook pro.

You will need a cross-over Ethernet cable to connect two computers directly.
Why would it take 20 hours through your router? Even if your router only does 100Mbits, that's still ~12.5MBytes per second, which is about 45 gigs per hour. Let's say there's some overhead, but either way, it wouldn't take longer than a couple of hours max.

You will need a cross-over Ethernet cable to connect two computers directly.
Why would it take 20 hours through your router? Even if your router only does 100Mbits, that's still ~12.5MBytes per second, which is about 45 gigs per hour. Let's say there's some overhead, but either way, it wouldn't take longer than a couple of hours max.

a cross-over cable, is that the normal ethernet cable?

i am not sure why it is taking so long, i have a wireless g which is rated to 54mbps, but it is barely managing 1mbps, there are no overheads i can think of at the minute, the router is supplying internet access to 4 laptops but when i was transferring the files none of the laptops were using the internet...

Well, there's something wrong with the router. What make/model is it? What's the firmware you are using?

A cross-over Ethernet cable is not a normal Ethernet cable, as the term "cross-over" may suggest. ;)
You can buy one for like $5 at Radioshack, or you can make one yourself: How To Make a Crossover Cable.

However, you don't need a cross-over cable, you just need to fix your router.

Back