Help spend my money! Need opinions!

So, it's my birthday this month and my wife is insisting that I buy myself something, even though I honeslty don't want to because we just got back from an expensive vacation. She won't drop it though so I started looking around and I don't know what to get, honestly.

Here's my system right now:

Core i7 2600K w/ Corsair H50 Water Block
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Mobo
16 Gigs DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengance
3x 128GB Kingston SSD Raid 0 - Primary Drive
2x VelociRaptor 300 GB Raid 0 - Secondary Drive
2x 6970 in CFX
Bluray Burner/DVD Combo
2x 24inch LCDs @ 1920x1200
Logitech 5.1 Z5300 Speakers
Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
Corsair 1050W PSU
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

Honestly, I don't know what else I could possibly want to do to my machine. Budget is probably around $500-700. Watercooling? No. Upgrade GFX? Would love a pair of 680s or a 690, but no...I don't need that. I'm probably already overkill for my resolution.

I guess my problem is that I don't want to spend money just to spend it. If I buy something I want it to really make a difference. I'm willing to swap a part out and sell it if the part that's replacing it is worth the change. What do you guys think?

Doesn't even have to be hardware related. Maybe some tech gadget? A tablet? A TV?

Last edited:
keyboard mouse? desk chair? do you have a good power supply? your audio choices could be upgraded for sure also a 30" monitor would add a lot to your user experience.

Added the mouse, keyboard, and PSU in there.

My desk chair is actually not a bad way to go, but that'll still leave me plenty of money for something else.

I'd LOVE a bigger monitor, but 1) don't those usually go for over $1,000? and 2) not sure it would fit in my desk lol (it has cubicals above it) though, I'd make a 30" monitor fit. :p

Maybe a third (identical) monitor and a 2TB-3TB hard drive for backup/storage?

Most people would kill to get a setup like yours. I don't really see how you can improve upon it.

yeah, you may have to sell off the other two monitors to get a good 30" so it may not be worth the hassle.

if you haven't listened to music/movies/games on a good set of headphones $250-$500 I suggest you find a place to try some out.

you may be a hug fan of good audio and not even know it yet. that would honestly be a good use of your money in my opinion but it really depends on on what your ears think.

I've thought about a 3rd monitor. Have you tried eyefinity? Is it worth the hype?

My server has 16 terabytes of storage with over 4.5 free. I think I'm good there. :)

I know...I honestly feel super spoiled right now. I've never had this nice of a machine and I know a few years ago I would have loved to have had it. That's why I worry about spending more money when it's already pretty nice.

yeah, you may have to sell off the other two monitors to get a good 30" so it may not be worth the hassle.

if you haven't listened to music/movies/games on a good set of headphones $250-$500 I suggest you find a place to try some out.

you may be a hug fan of good audio and not even know it yet. that would honestly be a good use of your money in my opinion but it really depends on on what your ears think.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
honestly there are too many to pick from. if you think you are interested in good audio check out this guide, read, read, read and then pick a pair that sounds interesting. you'll know from your first mid range pair if you care about good audio or not. good thing is headphone hold their value better then computer parts so you can re-sell them usually at no loss.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

honestly there are too many to pick from. if you think you are interested in good audio check out this guide, read, read, read and then pick a pair that sounds interesting. you'll know from your first mid range pair if you care about good audio or not. good thing is headphone hold their value better then computer parts so you can re-sell them usually at no loss.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Thanks for that. I'll check that out. :)

------------------

Anyone have an opinion on gaming with either Eyefinity or on a 30" (or other super-high resolution) montior?

What about better speakers for your system? It means you'll have to dispose your logitech but I'm pretty sure the upgrade will be very satisfying. I wouldn't go into headphones because you get sucked into buying an amp, dac, and all that which is a big black hole in itself. $700 would probably get you a nice pair of KRK Rockit 6 + subwoofer maybe add a $100 dac but I'm not sure about the prices, might be a bit overbudget. You can also get Audioengine A5+ which is below the KRKs but if you had the choice, you should definitely just go straight for the Rockits.

Back