Help! Think my monitor is failing, advice needed!

Dudeyourlame

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently use an LG 246WP-BN MVA monitor and ive begun to notice discoloring and some vertical lines in video games

I managed to capture the problem on mostly dark grey/ grey and i took 2 pictures
http://imgur.com/NFHgH03
http://i.imgur.com/Hr1pHWY.jpg

Time to start looking into getting a new monitor, or is it something i might be able to fix ?

My best guess is parts of the backlight are beginning to burn out, and that basically means its not worth fixing, and to replace it :(

Looks like image retention. Have you left the screen sitting on a still image for a long time? Perhaps a desktop background picture that has intense contrast in those particular locations or those same circular markings?

Looks like image retention. Have you left the screen sitting on a still image for a long time? Perhaps a desktop background picture that has intense contrast in those particular locations or those same circular markings?

I turn my monitor off when i leave the house, and i have the monitor to go off after 20 minutes in case.

and i cant think of any crazy backgrounds ive had, usually very colorful or mostly black ( Space pictures)

Several 20-minute segments or maybe even just having the desktop visible next to an un-maximized window while working could do it.

I recognize this as image retention because I have a Dell 2405 PVA with the exact same thing. Same usage scenario (always turn it off when not used, colorful backgrounds), but the monitor developed dark lines matching a lighter area from a background.

You can try some fixes like leaving the monitor off unplugged for a day, or running a color cycling program, then see if the problem is lessened. It may also go away if the monitor is off a while and come back when it heats up.

Regardless, its age means it's permanently more susceptible to the problem happening, and you'll need to replace it anyway. :(

Several 20-minute segments or maybe even just having the desktop visible next to an un-maximized window while working could do it.

I recognize this as image retention because I have a Dell 2405 PVA with the exact same thing. Same usage scenario (always turn it off when not used, colorful backgrounds), but the monitor developed dark lines matching a lighter area from a background.

You can try some fixes like leaving the monitor off unplugged for a day, or running a color cycling program, then see if the problem is lessened. It may also go away if the monitor is off a while and come back when it heats up.

Regardless, its age means it's permanently more susceptible to the problem happening, and you'll need to replace it anyway. :(

Yea I suppose this monitor has to be 4-6 years old IIRC so it is inevitable that ill have to replace it ! :(

Well it looks like when the monitor is first turned on and for about 20 minutes after the screen looks good, but as it gets warmer the black splotching starts to show up gradually

Well it looks like when the monitor is first turned on and for about 20 minutes after the screen looks good, but as it gets warmer the black splotching starts to show up gradually

the panel's shot. time to shop for a new monitor. or a replacement panel, if you're a diy'er.

Back