Help with SUS (long post)

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, sorry for the long post; I like to be thorough.

I'm using my home network as a testbed for this and I'm having trouble getting the clients to pull patches from the server. Event logs dictate this:

"Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection."

this error occurs at 2:20:48 PM every day even though the update is scheduled to install at 3:00 AM every day. NTP is working fine.

I'm logged into the workstation as a user with domain admin privelages.

DNS and AD are working perfectly. DHCP is set to provide domain name, wins, dns, gateway, etc. All GPO's work except that I still have full access to windows update even though I explicitly denied it. Could it be because I'm logged in as a domain admin? I made a simple change to the GPO (changed the update time from 3:00 am to 4:00 am) and the client machine changed the time (the drop-down boxes are greyed out) after running gpudate so I know the policy is working.

I think it had something to do with the way I set the server for updates in gpo. I set them both (the statistics server as well) as http://tigra.

Heres the strange part: The Administrative Tools link to the sus page doesn't work. I found out that the shortcut points to http://tigra/SUSAdmin. I get no error, just a totally blank page. BUT if I use my website address which is set to both my server's internal and public ip address plus the /SUSAdmin it works.

One of MS's KB articles mentioned something like "the client machine must be able to connect to the WPAD server name for windows update to work. Ping wpad.yourdomain.com." etc. etc. I pinged it and got no response. So I created a dns record for it and now the client can ping that name.

I'm going to try setting the sus server to my external IP. Anyone have suggestions?

specs:
Windows 2003 server (server)
Windows XP SP1 (client)

have you moved your XP computer's account out of the default 'Computers' OU in AD?

You may also want to check:
%windir%\Windows Update.log on the client

and
%WinDir%\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ on the server

Back