High end NEC graphics monitor and CCFL backlight life expectancy question

wasserkool

Limp Gawd
Recently I've acquired two NEC monitors - the 3090WQXi and the PA301W as my dual screen configurations. I understand that CCFL loses it brightness over time and some users here (SnowDog?) has said that when his 2490WQXi reached 12000 hours the backlight lost half of its brightness.

Now I use the NEC i1 calibrator to calibrate both monitors to 180 cd/m^2 which is almost half the maximum brightness. Does this mean that I can greatly extend the lifetime of the CCFL backlight?

I've also noticed that the newer PA301W is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than the 3090 which I assume a newer more efficient backlight is used?

Now I use the NEC i1 calibrator to calibrate both monitors to 180 cd/m^2 which is almost half the maximum brightness. Does this mean that I can greatly extend the lifetime of the CCFL backlight?
Compared to running it at full brightness? Well, yes... as to how much it is extended, it's uncertain.
Didn't Snowdog keep his monitor on all the time, or was it somebody else who stated they did this? If yes, this isn't quite the "normal" usage pattern, which i'd assume LG states the backlight lifetime by. Just like the 1000 hrs rating of incandescent bulbs involves switching offf/on the bulb (although keeping them on will greatly extend their life time).

Screen manufacturers use many vendors of CCFLs, so this might be the reason why a difference in color temperature exists. Either that, or the display settings of the PA301W is just different.
If the maximum brightness becomes insufficient, the CCFLs can be replaced.

FWIW 180cd/m^2 is way too bright for me. Even the 120cd/m^2 standard seems so, in dimly lit video editing environment, but during daytime its OK.

Greatly extend? Doubtful.

I run my 2490 at minimum 95% of the time and I still lost half my brightness after 12000 hours.

Back