HL2: Any way to compile the 5-cd version into one DVD

krizzle

Gawd
I know there was something like this for Doom3 when it came out; people managed to compile the 3 cd's to one DVD and alter the installer to work off of one DVD, not prompting for "Insert next CD."

I was wondering, do any of you know or have you come accross some source which explains how to make one installation DVD of HL2, instead of 5 different CD's?

After you install steam, and HL2, you can do a backup. Im not sure how it backs it up, but I would assume either to your HD, which you could then burn it?

In Steam go to My games then right click Half-Life 2 and choose Backup Game Files... Then you should be able to burn the backup files.

krizzle said:
And it is installable from the backup file, I assume?

You just have to do a basic install of Steam then you can use your HL2 backup files to reinstall it to the Steam list.

You could just make iso images of your 5 discs and burn the images onto a DVD. Then when you're installing you mount the images with daemon tools.
It's not exactly what you're asking, but it would also work.

This is more or less what I was aiming for, but I was hoping there is a way to drop seperate imaging, and somehow make the installer bypass cd changes. I guess not then.

Back