home theater UPS or AVR?

I'm looking for something to protect my home theater system. should I get something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-AP3080...chnology/dp/B000T9DHZ2/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0
or would a regular UPS be good enough?

No doubt I’ll take a few flames for this…

A unit like that is an imperative in my HT systems. The AC coming into your house is so full of noise and voltage fluctuations like you can’t imagine.

I use a separate UPS and the big Monster power cleaning devices.

On a side note I’m not a real big fan of Belkin and I’ve never had that unit on the bench or looked inside so I can’t speak as to the quality of that unit. If you look around that product category is dropping from the market place.

The reason for this is pretty simple; people don’t want to pay the extra money for something with no perceived value. As for me, this is a must have kind of product.;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

No flame but the extent of what is needed can vary. I use only a relatively inexpensive surge suppressor which has some filter components integrated into it. Regarding the UPS, just do some research on what type it is and what the output characteristics are before choosing one for any given application.

i need a ups for my DLP 55" tv ! so if i loose power my bulb does not burst
can i use a regular apc ?

A unit like that is an imperative in my HT systems. The AC coming into your house is so full of noise and voltage fluctuations like you can’t imagine.

I use a separate UPS and the big Monster power cleaning devices.

On a side note I’m not a real big fan of Belkin and I’ve never had that unit on the bench or looked inside so I can’t speak as to the quality of that unit. If you look around that product category is dropping from the market place.

The reason for this is pretty simple; people don’t want to pay the extra money for something with no perceived value. As for me, this is a must have kind of product.;)
but doesn't a quality UPS have line conditioning?

I was just using belkin as an example, I know there are others too. I've read some good things about panamax.

good ones seem to be pretty expensive though. I'm not sure I want to spend more than $200-300

I was just using belkin as an example, I know there are others too. I've read some good things about panamax.

good ones seem to be pretty expensive though. I'm not sure I want to spend more than $200-300

Look for true rms or sine wave output, and line interactive. With this you may not need a separate power conditioner. You may very likely spend over $300. Then of course there are UPS' designed specifically with AV equipment in mind.

Yes, a high quality UPS will have some filtering built in. Typically units designed for AV are built to a much higher spec when it comes to cleaning up the power flow.

Honestly, my feelings aside, I don’t see a problem with the Belkin you are looking at or the one above it (below in your link).

PanaMax and Monster both make similar units all with warrantees that guarantee your gear. Both companies make units within your price range as well and as I said before I consider them a must have item.

HD TV costs too much to not protect and honestly in most cases you can see and hear a difference.

Do it and enjoy;)

i need a ups for my DLP 55" tv ! so if i loose power my bulb does not burst
can i use a regular apc ?

A good UPS is going to set you back around the same $. For the price of a couple of bulbs ($200.00) or less you can have both;)

Once I bought a less expensive UPS and wasn't very happy with the result. If you can get your UPS for less that is great, but I also don't discount others that pay more. At the same time I try not buy something I don't need. For reasons of my own, if my HT setup loses power it doesn't cause me any real concern so I just use a power line filter/protection.

Back