Horrible LAN access after new ISP & AP

xenotype

Gawd
Hey all. My folks recently switched over from a sweet fat cable pipe to this crappy DSL from ATT. My question is, since the switchover, they required us to use their DSL modem / wireless router, in place of the sweet, sweet WRT54G I had setup. Ever since, I get horrible internal network transfer rates when either copying something or even watching a movie from a networked drive, when previously I could do so flawlessly.

Where should I start to look / troubleshoot in my setup? Thanks.

disable DHCP on the Linksys.
disable the wireless on the AT&T-provided AP.

connect a LAN port on the AP to a LAN port on the Linksys.

essentially turning the Linksys into the AP, with IP address still being handed out by the AT&T-provided AP.

Also may want to try MAC cloning, that may be all its looking for is a certain MAC address. I know our DSL line at work here is like that.

disable DHCP on the Linksys.
disable the wireless on the AT&T-provided AP.

connect a LAN port on the AP to a LAN port on the Linksys.

essentially turning the Linksys into the AP, with IP address still being handed out by the AT&T-provided AP.

I tried what you said, as well as connecting the lan port of the AP to the linksys's lan port, and tried the uplink port, couldnt get either to handout an ip to my laptop via wireless, kept giving me a 169.* addy instead of an 192.*

I tried what you said, as well as connecting the lan port of the AP to the linksys's lan port, and tried the uplink port, couldnt get either to handout an ip to my laptop via wireless, kept giving me a 169.* addy instead of an 192.*

strange... I never had that issue before.

you didn't disable DHCP on the AT&T-provided router, right? :D

Call up AT&T and tell them you want a basic ADSL modem. None of this integrated BS. That would be the best way.

The other way would be to disable DHCP on your WRT54G, make sure it doesn't have the same IP address as the AT&T router. If they have the same IP address, change the one in the Linksys to something on the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP scope of the AT&T device. Then connect the two devices together using a LAN port on each.

Call up AT&T and tell them you want a basic ADSL modem. None of this integrated BS. That would be the best way.

The other way would be to disable DHCP on your WRT54G, make sure it doesn't have the same IP address as the AT&T router. If they have the same IP address, change the one in the Linksys to something on the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP scope of the AT&T device. Then connect the two devices together using a LAN port on each.

this what he tried, and said his PC wasn't getting an IP.

although, that brings up something I forgot... with just the AT&T provided unit, what IP address are you getting? What IP address does the AT&T router have? if it has a 192.168.1.1 IP, then that could be why you weren't receiving an IP... need to change the Linksys to, oh, 192.168.1.254 and try that again.

this what he tried, and said his PC wasn't getting an IP.

although, that brings up something I forgot... with just the AT&T provided unit, what IP address are you getting? What IP address does the AT&T router have? if it has a 192.168.1.1 IP, then that could be why you weren't receiving an IP... need to change the Linksys to, oh, 192.168.1.254 and try that again.

ahh, :D we're onto something here. the ip of the router is 192.168.1.254 instead of the usual *.1, which is what the linksys is set to. hmmm :confused:

they required us to use their DSL modem / wireless router,

I take it this is only true since you do not have a DSL modem / router. I setup connections all the time with major providers and insist on using Cisco gear, their response is
"that's not supported", I say, "I know I am going to use the equipment anyway and support it myself" and everything is fine.

ahh, :D we're onto something here. the ip of the router is 192.168.1.254 instead of the usual *.1, which is what the linksys is set to. hmmm :confused:

so the AT&T one has an ip of 192.168.1.254
and the Linksys has the default 192.168.1.1?

just to make sure I'm understanding.

You are not required to use what they give you, but if you use something different for the modem they usually say you are on your own if you have issues (even down the connection issues, etc.).

Now, what is your modem/router model number. That is the place to start...you will want to see if you can bridge it to your linksys, and I have a feeling I know what model it is already and you can.

That will give your linksys the WAN IP and the modem just bridges the DSL connection to the linksys instead of doing NAT/DHCP/etc.

Back