Horrible screeching from Video card or PSU?

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this has been discussed a bit, but does it mean I have to try a new vid card or a new PSU? I haven't determined, not sure I can pin point, which it is yet. I've seen some people say it's the vid card with a bad capacitor or the PSU with a bad cap. I only had this start to happen after I went to a p45 board, I think.:confused: I have a Muskin 800 PSU which you can switch from 4 rails to 1. I tried that, but no good.

Anyhoo, if anyone else out there has successfully figured out a similar problem I'd love to here about what you did.

I had a screeching sound on my 8800GTS, turned out it was the clear plastic coat peeling off of the face and being sucked into the fan.

My noise is not constant. When I scroll in IE 7 :eek: I hear it faintly WTF or if a game is running. Really loud when a game is loading and then running at least in Warhead. The 280 GTX has HDMI on it correct? Could it be possible that the card is causing it.

Oh, I took off the plastic a while back.

This has occurred with my GTX 280 & it only happens with certain games. I haven't the slightest clue why it does it since I took all of the plastic off. It's a very random event.

I know its not the same card but I get a faint buzzing noise from my 8800gt in certain games. For example when I login to Guild Wars, if I'm looking directly at the character at the login screen, I hear the noise. If I tilt the camera to the top or bottom a bit the noise goes away.

I've read somewhere that if your video card has coil-noise during loading screens (or during games with very high frame rates), if you enable VSync the noise goes away. Try it out. ;)

How loud is this sound? I know that when my GPU (8800GT) is loaded, you can definitely hear it...... and it is definitely not the PSU. I can tell without even looking at my screen if my system has a folding WU that it's running. :eek:

I was a little spooked at first, but I don't mind it too much, but I can't really hear it that clearly unless I'm listening for it...... I have my case set up on the floor, so it is a little ways away.

I wouldn't worry unless it's really obnoxious.

It seems to only really be an issue in Warhead. I cut on VSync and it went away. It was pretty frikin loud and annoying. From what I gather it's something about the frame rate in the game.

If you listen to Ted Nugent really loud for a weekend, all high pitch noises will cease to be audiable to you for the rest of your life.

But off course I don't recommend you do this. :D

Put hot glue on all exposed coils on the card...nothing is "wrong" aside from poor design. It is a coil screeching. Covering it in hot glue (hot glue is an insulator and won't cause problems. Just apply it when your PC is off) will dampen the noise.

Back