Horribly slow frame times with Vista 64 / SMP

aldamon

Supreme [H]ardness
EDIT: Switched to dual VMs instead of VM + Windows SMP and all is well. Screw Windows SMP in Vista 64.

=======

I've got a VM running on two cores fine but Windows SMP on Vista 64 SP1 is giving me fits. I've gone from 12 minutes a frame in XP Pro to over an hour per frame! Anyone have any ideas? CPU load looks fine when running it and I get no errors. It's just slow.

Look if there is no service started by accident ? Hanging mpiexec.exe with extra FahCore processes ?

I've encountered this before, but no where to this extreme. It is not a dedicated folder, so I'm sure memory leaks from other apps. A good swift kick in the a$$ (reboot) ususally does the trick. My 3.42 Q6600 will over time go up to 12 minute frames from 10.45 over a period of two to three weeks of use (this is based on fast proteins). I try to reboot at least once every two weeks (sometimes once a week). As this isn't a dedicated folder, it's part of my usual ritual.

On the reboot, the frame times are always better.

sometimes it is turned on and sometimes I turn it on. mostly on though. after a few days of up time, I check task manager and realize it has taken away a few cycles.

Hmmm. Weird. So I turned off my VM and let Windows SMP have all four cores. The first frame took 20 minutes and I got pissed, so we went to lunch. Now I"m back and every other frame has taken ~10 minutes, which is still damn slow with all four cores crunching it. I'm thinking I just need to let Vista run and do its thing and everything will work out. Fun fun fun and right before the Chimp Challenge. What was I thinking?

Screw this. I have 4GB RAM now. I'm going with dual VMs.

Did you assign cores to VM correctly ? This can affect a lot.

Never mind. I'm an idiot. My overclock reset after rebooting so many times. Hahahhahahahah. I'll be back with accurate results.

This is more like it! As expected, much better than VMWare + Windows SMP even after dropping down to 5-5-5-15 for 4x1GB of RAM.

vista64rules.jpg

Back