Hotmail down?

Anyone having trouble getting into Hotmail lately?

Not sure this is an OS thing, but I'm not getting through as outlook express or from the web.

I have XPpro, and this is really weird. All of a sudden, outlook express wont access hotmail, and I can't even go to .live. site. Even Windows update gets me to the express/custom selection point, I pick custom and then it craps out.

This has been working fine for years, even my outgoing verizon mail is not working.

I can't imagine it a hosts file issue, wouldn't that give instant error 127?

Trying to access mail.live.com I get:

This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

Other PC's on the network can get to mail.live.com, windows update correctly, etc. So it's not my router or verizon FIOS blocking.

Any ideas?

I can get to my hotmail addresses via browser using www.hotmail.com or windows live mail and I'm using 3 different flavors of vista here at home including one x64 instance.

Another data point, if I try to post a reply to any forum beyond a few sentences long, I get the same timeout I get trying to access Hotmail, etc.

Weird. What could have broken? I have a second XP install on the same machine, on a IDE drive, and I booted from it, and the same issues exists, and that XP has been dorment for weeks. It's basically a mirror of the XP I use every day, but I haven't run or updated or anything to it in a few weeks.

I can't even ping microsoft.com or mail.live.com.

I am on FIOS, I went to my brothers, on Comcast and the hotmail works fine for my account. Other PC's on my network cannot get to hotmail either.

I have the FIOS router. Also, a Linksys WRT54GS rev3 attached to the FIOS, so I have 2 wireless connections in the house, one on channel 6 the other on channel 11.

Any ideas?

Issue settled. It was the FIOS router, they are replacing it.

I setup a linksys to take its place and all the problems went away.

Freaky. :eek::rolleyes::p

Back