How about a sub-forum for milestones/congratulations?

Just a suggestion...

Nah, a better idea would be to have a weekly [H]orde news thread with milestone for the whole week and some various news. For that, we need someone who cna post this once per week.

alan2308, up for the task ?

That sounds like a great idea. It would probably be a better idea to do that then to continue the congratulatory threads the way the points are flying around these days. They're loosing their meaning when there's so many of them.

Especially when leSLIe is catching up on the congrats for everyone and most of the first 2 pages are all them. It doesn't seem like so many when I'm doing one or two here and there. :D

Great ! We can start this. Just pick a day, browse the new milestones of the last 7 days then compile a list. With this, just add some news like a raffle, new versions released, a notable event and such. Shouldn't take too long to do this and the folders who come just 1-2 times per week will be able to see what happened during the week. We used to have current events in the [H]orde|Central thread but since this is always evolving, it get tedious to update them so the weekly news would fill the purpose much better.

However, I believe we should still keep the milestones thread around but only for the most notable ones like joining the purple gang and such.
The title of those weekly thread should be consistent for archiving and search purposes : [H]orde News - 09/21/2008 week

Just a suggestion...

LOL!!!! :D
i was about to ask the same thing!!!! hahaha
well after i went berserk congratulating everyone, haha :p it wouldn't be a bad idea ;)

Sounds good.

It seems that a 5 mil milestone is the same as a 1 mil milestone just a bit over a year ago.

I still want to let ppl get recognized, but 5 milestone threads a day can get a bit clutterd.

This sounds like a wonderful idea. The millionaire club has over 200 people on it now and that number is going to continue to grow.

Hey I gots an ideer, why don't we create a thread that's updated quarterly for our "heavy duty" folding members (you know the "major rampin artists" :D)? :confused: That way as fast as a lot of milestones are bein' "popped" by our "rampin' artists" (heavy duty" folders) it would be less complicated, give you more time to think of a "witty" congrats post, plus it'd be less wear and tear on the ole' keyboard (and the ole' finger for us one finger typing people :rolleyes:)

Please don't anyone come unglued, I was only jokin' :p

Foldin' and WCG'n for the CURE

I also think this would be a good idea.

For whoever is going to do this, would you please PM me when you post the thread so I can also make a news post about it on hardfolding.com? This way I do not miss the thread somehow.

When I loged on this morning it looked like over 80 or so percent of the threads were congrats threads.

I totally agree a bit of consolidation would be a smart move, we used to do it in the milestone thread.

The news post Idea sounds great to me, but then what do us old farts know;)

I'll start jotting down milestones and other notes and post up the first [H]orde News thread next weekend.

I also think this would be a good idea.

For whoever is going to do this, would you please PM me when you post the thread so I can also make a news post about it on hardfolding.com? This way I do not miss the thread somehow.

Will do.

This sounds like a great idea. It may make finding info easier as well and will certainly help clean up some of the 3 or 4 pages you now have to read through if you miss a couple of days here.. ;) Putting up a news hit on the stats homepage is also a great idea. The news is getting much more frequent there thanks to SmokeRngs efforts, but our stats page (Hardfolding.com) is linked sometimes and this would be a nice addition IMHO.

It seems that a 5 mil milestone is the same as a 1 mil milestone just a bit over a year ago.

While this is very true since the inception of the GPU client for Nvidia, as we all know this will not remain the same forever if for long. When I started this past spring, a 30-40k ppd folder was a beast. Now, not so much so. According to a quick calculation I just ran off EOC stats, 92.59% of our ppd are from folders doing 3kppd or less. A mere 7.41% comes from folders at 6kppd and over.

While I know you didn't mean it that way K, I think each Million point milestone is a HUGE milestone that should be treated as such. One of the things that drew me too this team was the fact that ALL folders were appreciated and loved here, not just the big guns. I don't see this idea changing that, and I think the heavy hitters deserve special recognition for an extraordinary contribution and effort.
I don't think think that's happening here, but I don't want to see anyone think that that they need to hit a specific milestone before they're making a real contribution. :cool:

how about we just have a milestone sticky thread.. that you only post milestones in.. no congrats.. i mean it gets old after awhile saying congrats 10 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.. and im sure most people arent starving for that much attention that they need people congratulating them.. but at least people will see everyones milestones.. would keep the thread much shorter and more controlled and less people starting new threads for each milestone they hit..

thats just my idea..

how about we just have a milestone sticky thread.. that you only post milestones in.. no congrats.. i mean it gets old after awhile saying congrats 10 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.. and im sure most people arent starving for that much attention that they need people congratulating them.. but at least people will see everyones milestones.. would keep the thread much shorter and more controlled and less people starting new threads for each milestone they hit..

thats just my idea..

We already have one like you wanted : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=283873

What we really need is something to outline those who broke the 7 digits milestones, which is commendable and at the same time, regroup some news from the current week for those who rarely browse the forums and to be linked to the hardfolding.com. It might be redundant for regulars but for congratulating, we do it in a single place instead of 5-10 threads weekly.

thats just my idea..

Its not about starving for attention or feeling obligated to post another congrats in another thread. Its about being a team, and many of us are genuinely happy for one another when a major milestone is passed.

Besides that, on more than one occasion, a congratulatory thread inspired a folder to come out of the shadows and post in the forum.

While this is very true since the inception of the GPU client for Nvidia, as we all know this will not remain the same forever if for long. When I started this past spring, a 30-40k ppd folder was a beast. Now, not so much so. According to a quick calculation I just ran off EOC stats, 92.59% of our ppd are from folders doing 3kppd or less. A mere 7.41% comes from folders at 6kppd and over.

While I know you didn't mean it that way K, I think each Million point milestone is a HUGE milestone that should be treated as such. One of the things that drew me too this team was the fact that ALL folders were appreciated and loved here, not just the big guns. I don't see this idea changing that, and I think the heavy hitters deserve special recognition for an extraordinary contribution and effort.
I don't think think that's happening here, but I don't want to see anyone think that that they need to hit a specific milestone before they're making a real contribution. :cool:

I totaly agree. I was more or less saying that it took me much longer to get my first mil than it did my 2nd. And I've haven't invested all that much more in boxen. (just shifted the kinds of parts I was useing)

Many of the old timers will reember when 50k... total was a massive milestone.

I want as much recognition for the new folders as possoibe (that is practical) because I know that is what kept me going.

Fold on, as was said, it's the team as a whole that makes this work. Our 3k and under brethren are the heart of the team.

This sounds like a great idea. It may make finding info easier as well and will certainly help clean up some of the 3 or 4 pages you now have to read through if you miss a couple of days here.. ;) Putting up a news hit on the stats homepage is also a great idea. The news is getting much more frequent there thanks to SmokeRngs efforts, but our stats page (Hardfolding.com) is linked sometimes and this would be a nice addition IMHO.

Man, that's one great post nomad8u :eek:

I agree wholeheartedly that a 1 million milestone is a big accomplishment. I never thought about 92.59% of our folders being 3k ppd or less. While I'm certainly impressed with our "heavy hitters" and everyone else is also. I think it was Mr relic that said "consistency is what really counts". I'm not sayin' our "heavy hitters" aren't consistent, because they certainly are. I think my whole point was not everyone is lucky enough to spend the money to get several boxen or the latest hardware, but they remain consistent with what they have to fold with and if I've heard it once or I've heard it a thousand times "EVERY POINT COUNTS" :D

So in abstract I think we need a way to honor our 1 million milestone people and also have some way to show appreciation for our "heavy hitters" Several of these idea sound very logical to me. ;)

FOLDIN' and WCG'n for a CURE

Back