How do you mount a 2lb heatsink to a 775?

Sanctuary

Weaksauce
I have a Scythe Infinity that I have yet to actually mount, because it didn't look like there was enough clearance no matter which way I sat it between the northbridge and the dimm slots. So, it looks like I can get it in there, but barely.

My problem is that I have no idea what I am supposed to be setting the motherboard on to mount something like this. Is a table top good enough, or should I lay some kind of material down beforehand? Usually when I would mount heatsinks onto any other motherboard, the board always had some kind of foam that I could just sit it on top of. Not so with my current board, and I'm paranoid about sitting it flat on a desktop.

Trying to mount it while it's still inside the case is not an option.

carefully, very very carefully, :D

clean desktop will be fine if you dont mind possibley scratching it with the sharp little solder points on the backside of the board.

A piece of thick cardboard or clean piece of wood/plywood, even a folded towel will be fine.

dont scrub your feet across a carpet or anything and touch the side of your case while the PSU is plugged into the wall (but the switch on the back is OFF). to ground yourself and discharge any static every now and then as you work.

Yeah, I had just looked at some of the packaging my parts were shipped in from Newegg thinking that a double layer of cardboard should be ok. I just don't want to end up accidentally shearing of bits and pieces and have them sticking to the bottom of the board though. :eek:

your caution is good, I am dreading the day I have to mount one of those monsters. Only other thing I can think of is that there have been posts about on some boards the solder "volcanos" created by some component leads sticking too high out of the backside of the board got in the way of the backplate, They can be trimmed with nail clippers or side cutters and filed down with a fingernail file. you dont want to go all the way to the board, just enough to get the sharp point off leaving 1/2 of the "volcano" . A layer of qood quality electrical tape on the side of the back side of the back mounting plate that is towards the board is more good insurance.

wow, well I hope those pushpins work easier than the stock intel heatsink, I dont see how the hell you going to get in there to push them as hard as they normally need to get pushed. Well thanks for showing me that. Good luck.

Only other thing I can think of is that there have been posts about on some boards the solder "volcanos" created by some component leads sticking too high out of the backside of the board got in the way of the backplate.

I had this exact issue with my Typhoon backplate on my DS3. Even though I had a thick layer of that black foam stuff between the backplate and mobo, when I tightened down the heatsink, a solder point would actually poke through and hit the backplate, causing a severe grounding issue. Thank goodness it did not fry anything, a little filing and an additional layer over that point of double sided foam tape and all is well!

Wow here we go !!! This is nice !!! I love spring loading. Mcmaster.com has precision (spring rate is known and precise) compression springs.

How to Modify the Scythe Infinity Mounting System for Optimum Mounting Pressure

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=16

Note by me: I would consider having a nylon washer closest to the motherboard. The area should be clear of components and traces but you never know.

Back