How does the Dell 3007 perform in non-native resolutions?

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
Can I run it in say... 1900X1200 with no problems, because gaming in native resolution.... is just not going to be possible. Can someone post a list of all of the resolutions it supports? Would it have any input lag? Does this monitor have any ghosting? Better then the 2405?

The 3007 will support just about any resolution of 2,560 x 1,600 and below via the video driver. Adding custom resolutions with the NVIDIA driver is a doddle, less easy with ATI.

But like any other LCD, the 3007 looks crap running non-native.

caboosemoose said:
But like any other LCD, the 3007 looks crap running non-native.

I disagree. The 3007 looks better than my 23" ACD with non-native resolutions. It does the job really good.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I;ve tried my 3007 with a various video cards and it produces an identical soft and rather blurred image at non native as any other panel I've tried, including my old HP 2335, which uses the same 23-inch S-IPS panel as the Apple 23.

The exception is at 1,280 x 800 where is uses straight pixel doubling for a sharper image, but in that case the pixels are huge, so it looks fairly hideous, anyway.

That is really why I have not pulled the trigger on the 3007. I have no games that would ever run at 2500x1600. I have heard people say it looks great at lower resolutions and others say it does not. Too subjective to just drop $2000 plus the cost of 2 GPU's ~ another $800. I dont think the screenies tell the whole story.

The bottom line is that this is an LCD monitor with a pixel pitch similar to a 1280 17inch panel or a 1920 23-inch panel. The quality of the scaling is comparable to such displays and is nothing out of the ordinary in that regard.

caboosemoose said:
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I;ve tried my 3007 with a various video cards and it produces an identical soft and rather blurred image at non native as any other panel I've tried, including my old HP 2335, which uses the same 23-inch S-IPS panel as the Apple 23.

The exception is at 1,280 x 800 where is uses straight pixel doubling for a sharper image, but in that case the pixels are huge, so it looks fairly hideous, anyway.

Yes 1280x800 is too blocky, I don't like that. But resolutions above 1600 or 1680 are quite good. I play Condemned, Oblivion and GRAW (MP mode only) on 1920x1200 and it doesn't bother me at all.

Has anyone gotten their 3007 to run @ 1680x1050? That res would be great for gaming, because it's the same aspect ratio as 2560x1600, and not too big to bring the GPU to its knees. I haven't been able to get that res though, and I've ran this beast through a 7800GT and a X1800XT. The nVidia card seems to offer something like 1600x1900, and something around that, but not 1680x1050.

weemies said:
Has anyone gotten their 3007 to run @ 1680x1050? That res would be great for gaming, because it's the same aspect ratio as 2560x1600, and not too big to bring the GPU to its knees. I haven't been able to get that res though, and I've ran this beast through a 7800GT and a X1800XT. The nVidia card seems to offer something like 1600x1900, and something around that, but not 1680x1050.

Yes I did. I had to add the res in the nV Control Panel under Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates, Custom Resolutions.

slaWter said:
Yes I did. I had to add the res in the nV Control Panel under Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates, Custom Resolutions.

So how does it look in the 1680X1050? What about the next resolution higher then that, in the same aspect ratio? 19xx something?

slaWter said:
Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.

I think non-native resolutions look great on the 3007. I know some here disagree but i'm looking at mine all the time at non-native res and it's excellent.

Non-native res on LCDs always looks like crap. Some people aren't bothered by it so they say it looks really good but if you're hoping for the clarity and sharpness of the native res you will always be disappointed at non-native res's. Unfortunately, those pics slawter posted are kinda useless because they're all out of focus. Try using manual focus if your cam has it. It also helps to put the camera on something to stabilize it if the shutter speed is slow.

pugsley1218 said:
Is it "streched" when in something like 1900X1200?
I assume you mean 1920x1200, and since that res has the same aspect ratio (16:10) as the native resolution, it obviously won't be stretched. And neither will any other resolution, at least with geforce cards, because you can choose "aspect ratio scaling" from the forceware control panel. What it does is it fits and scales the resolution to the screen, and if the chosen res has a different aspect ratio than 16:10, it adds black bars to top and bottom, or to the sides, depending on the resolution. I had a X1800XT installed for a while, and couldn't find a similar option anywhere, which was very disappointing.

saltiness said:
Non-native res on LCDs always looks like crap. Some people aren't bothered by it so they say it looks really good but if you're hoping for the clarity and sharpness of the native res you will always be disappointed at non-native res's. Unfortunately, those pics slawter posted are kinda useless because they're all out of focus. Try using manual focus if your cam has it. It also helps to put the camera on something to stabilize it if the shutter speed is slow.

QFT. The 3007 sucks like any other LCD at non-native.

saltiness said:

Again, sorry for that. I'm not really into taking fotos... The only way I know how to improve the sharpness is with using flash... and this would result in a with spot on the display on the foto. I could take the pics from an angle...

A few months ago I bought two XFX 7800 GTX XXX 512MB cards (top o' the line at that moment) and run them in SLI.

Am I going to need 7900s to use a 3007 properly? :(

Also, what inputs does the 3007 have? (I read somewhere it does HDTV?)

For some reason I am having trouble getting 100% clear answers to both of the above. Thanks.

weemies said:
I assume you mean 1920x1200, and since that res has the same aspect ratio (16:10) as the native resolution, it obviously won't be stretched. And neither will any other resolution, at least with geforce cards, because you can choose "aspect ratio scaling" from the forceware control panel. What it does is it fits and scales the resolution to the screen, and if the chosen res has a different aspect ratio than 16:10, it adds black bars to top and bottom, or to the sides, depending on the resolution. I had a X1800XT installed for a while, and couldn't find a similar option anywhere, which was very disappointing.

err.... its called "centered timings" under panel properties in catalyst. while ATI doesnt support SCALED non stretch images, your talk of black bars on the top and bottom on nvidia kinda makes their supposed a.r.s. a moot feature doesnt it? (hint: the idea is to scale the image to touch the top and bottom of the screen and only have bars on the sides to maintain correct ratio)

p.s. the types of games that do not support true widescreen (they stretch or have no support at all) can typically still be run in 20XX x 1536 which is but a handful of pixels from filling the screen anyways, OR you can run 1024 x 768, which, at least on ATI, gets automatically pixel doubled to again come super close to filling the screen.

At first I was concerend this monitor would kill my ability to play older games.

HA! There is nothing you can't run with a great picture on here.

Except maybe Doom III (damn your black levels LCDs!!!)

......(so what everything else more than makes up for that singular flaw IME)

Deusfaux said:
err.... its called "centered timings" under panel properties in catalyst. while ATI doesnt support SCALED non stretch images, your talk of black bars on the top and bottom on nvidia kinda makes their supposed a.r.s. a moot feature doesnt it? (hint: the idea is to scale the image to touch the top and bottom of the screen and only have bars on the sides to maintain correct ratio)
"Scaled non-stretch images" is exactly what I was talking about. You don't seem to realize you can actually use resolutions that have a wider aspect ratio than the display you're using. In those cases, the image touches the sides of the screen and adds black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Tolyngee said:
A few months ago I bought two XFX 7800 GTX XXX 512MB cards (top o' the line at that moment) and run them in SLI.

Am I going to need 7900s to use a 3007 properly? :(

Also, what inputs does the 3007 have? (I read somewhere it does HDTV?)

For some reason I am having trouble getting 100% clear answers to both of the above. Thanks.

The 3007 has only one DVI port, nothing else.
The resolutions is even higher than HDTV 1080i or p (1920x1080).

You don't need 7900. If you have two 7800GTX with 512MB RAM you are sooo ready for this display :p

Or what doesn't work properly right now with the 7800?

weemies said:
"Scaled non-stretch images" is exactly what I was talking about. You don't seem to realize you can actually use resolutions that have a wider aspect ratio than the display you're using. In those cases, the image touches the sides of the screen and adds black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

I read it as saying bars to top and bottom AND sides

sure i guess you could run something wider than 16:10 (16:9?) dunno why you'd want to but yeah.

anyways i talked about 2 possible solutions (20xxx1536 or 1024x768(with automatic pixel doubling) + "use centered timings") for ati. supposedly the mobility version of their drivers DO have ratio scaling. bah!

I'm running a 1900 XTX with a 3007 and it ratio scales 1024 x 768 to fill the screen completely by default...

caboosemoose said:
I'm running a 1900 XTX with a 3007 and it ratio scales 1024 x 768 to fill the screen completely by default...

read above dude ;) and btw - its not completely despite how close it comes (1536 =/= 1600)

Deusfaux said:
read above dude ;) and btw - its not completely despite how close it comes (1536 =/= 1600)

Sorry dude, but my system very defintiely does completely fill the screen when running at 1,024 x 768 - I said nothing about pixel doubling.

slaWter said:
The 3007 has only one DVI port, nothing else.
The resolutions is even higher than HDTV 1080i or p (1920x1080).

You don't need 7900. If you have two 7800GTX with 512MB RAM you are sooo ready for this display :p

Or what doesn't work properly right now with the 7800?

While the XFX website states this and that XFX card (including some of the 7800s) support 2560x1600, it does NOT say that my card can...

I couldn't wait any longer for the 7900s to come out, but I will be disappt if I paid ~$1,500 for these two cards that cannot support this... I would just buy 7900s (altho I hear they have probs?) and sell the 7800s if so, but still...

Even if not, the 3007 would still work at some res with the current cards? 1280x800? But could it still do 2560x1600 at desktop? if so, that's fine with me...

I do want a 3007 tho...

Tolyngee said:
While the XFX website states this and that XFX card (including some of the 7800s) support 2560x1600, it does NOT say that my card can...

I couldn't wait any longer for the 7900s to come out, but I will be disappt if I paid ~$1,500 for these two cards that cannot support this... I would just buy 7900s (altho I hear they have probs?) and sell the 7800s if so, but still...

Even if not, the 3007 would still work at some res with the current cards? 1280x800? But could it still do 2560x1600 at desktop? if so, that's fine with me...

I do want a 3007 tho...

No you need dual link DVI for 2560x1600 - it doesn't matter if this is in a game or just the desktop. You would be able to run it at lower resolutions, but not at the native one.

What brand are your 7800s? I think all of the 7800GTX 512 do have dual link DVI. There are some 7800GTs without the one the're supposed to have... but the GTXs should be rdy for the 3007.

slaWter said:
No you need dual link DVI for 2560x1600 - it doesn't matter if this is in a game or just the desktop. You would be able to run it at lower resolutions, but not at the native one.

What brand are your 7800s? I think all of the 7800GTX 512 do have dual link DVI. There are some 7800GTs without the one the're supposed to have... but the GTXs should be rdy for the 3007.

I mentioned the XFX model above, and talked about the specs from the XFX website... I'd imagine I own XFX cards, no?

Eh, maybe I should just buy the BenQ for $310... Altho I dunno if my cards support 1680x1050 either...

I run Mitsu 2060u right now, was happy with it until I saw the 3007 beast...

OK, your 7800 GTX 512MB cards defintiely do support the full 2,560 x 1,600. All 512MB GTXs have dual link ports.

caboosemoose said:
OK, your 7800 GTX 512MB cards defintiely do support the full 2,560 x 1,600. All 512MB GTXs have dual link ports.

I dunno, look at the XFX site... It REALLY goes out of its own way to NOT make it clear... They make it a selling point to mention which cards support 2560x1600...

But then they don't mention it for the 7800 512MB cards...

They DO mention though that "not all 7800 cards support 2560x1600"

hmmmm....

Either way, XFX's site is confusing on this question...

caboosemoose said:
Sorry dude, but my system very defintiely does completely fill the screen when running at 1,024 x 768 - I said nothing about pixel doubling.

so then pixels are just being added in at random (and it looks not so good as compared to pixel doubling)

but beyond all that - you have no explanation for how this is happening? I'm sure every other ATI owner out there would like to know how your computer is supposedly doing ratio scaling when it is not an option for any of us?

Deusfaux said:
so then pixels are just being added in at random (and it looks not so good as compared to pixel doubling)

but beyond all that - you have no explanation for how this is happening? I'm sure every other ATI owner out there would like to know how your computer is supposedly doing ratio scaling when it is not an option for any of us?

No, I have no explanation because it is doing ratio scaling by default - whether it's 1280 x 1024 or 1,024 x 768, it stretches across the entire screen (x1900 xtx on cat 6.4). In fact, I've run at least four cards with the 3007, a couple ATI and a couple NVIDIA, and all of them did that by default.

And it's not doing anything "random". It's merely doing completely standard LCD interpolation.

yes... (i see where you're going)

im talking about running an older 4:3 game, maintaining 4:3 ratio (giving it pillar boxes on the sides)

i thought you were saying you could get it to ratio scale to fit the screen on your ati card (so that there would be black on the sides but not on the top and bottom)

Nvidias cards can do that... and for some reason ATI cards pixel double 1024x768 so that it comes really close to fill the the screen (VERTICALLY) but I dont know of any way to fill the screen vertically unless you're also filling the screen horizontally (and thus stretching it if it doesnt support widescreen.

yes yes?

this is exacly why i would not buy one if i had the money. using a 3007 at native resolution you need that dell 4 gpu's card to work.

stopmenow said:
this is exacly why i would not buy one if i had the money. using a 3007 at native resolution you need that dell 4 gpu's card to work.

in maybe 2 games at the highest settings with AA/AF sure.

otherwise thats a load of BS

Yeah, a single high end card is fine for most games. An X1900 XTX runs CS:Source and HL:2 at native with 4xAA very nicely indeed, for instance.

Back