How does the Ti4200 do in newer games like Farcry or other recent games?

I've had this Ti4200 for a long time, and it's plenty fast enough at 1024x768 for all the games I play so far (GTA Vice City, UT2K4) but what about the newer games out now?

Do I need a Radeon 9800 or is this card good for a while longer?

System Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800 Oc'd to 1708 Mhz
Iwill KK266-R Motherboard
1024 MB PC-133 RAM @ 148Mhz FSB
120GB Western Digital Special edition drive (8MB cache)
GeForce4 Ti4200 OC'd 315/563

Given the specs of your computer you will not see a ton of benefit from any of the new video cards.

FlyinBrian said:
Given the specs of your computer you will not see a ton of benefit from any of the new video cards.

The ram he has wont make much differnce one way or the other, he needs more processing Power First.

low, low, low, etc

Maybe if you have it overclocked you can run medium quality on most settings. Far Cry is probably the worst right now. I can play most other games on my laptop fine (NV28M).

fierce750 said:
The ram he has wont make much differnce one way or the other, he needs more processing Power First.

My rig was much slower when I had the Athlon 1400 Tbird OC'd to 1533.

But will 1700Mhz be sufficient? I'm only 100Mhz slower than a stock Barton 2400+ so I imagine my CPU isn't as much a limit as my SDRAM is for me.

When I get $300 I'll be getting an Abit NF7-S and 1GB of PC3200 and keep my current CPU, then I'll eventually upgrade to an XP Mobile. A friend of mine has a mobile doing 2450 Mhz and I read most 35W ones are doing 2.5-2.6 on air.

So what I'm getting from this thread, is that the speed of my system is being more of a bottleneck than my Video Card......

It actually runs farcry fairly well. I can play at 1024x768 with most settings on medium and some on high. My FPS gets pretty low sometimes, but its still playable.

My system is ancient:

1.2Ghz T-bird @ 1.4Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB @ 290/590

FarCry0004.jpg

Shackmaster said:
My rig was much slower when I had the Athlon 1400 Tbird OC'd to 1533.

But will 1700Mhz be sufficient? I'm only 100Mhz slower than a stock Barton 2400+ so I imagine my CPU isn't as much a limit as my SDRAM is for me.

When I get $300 I'll be getting an Abit NF7-S and 1GB of PC3200 and keep my current CPU, then I'll eventually upgrade to an XP Mobile. A friend of mine has a mobile doing 2450 Mhz and I read most 35W ones are doing 2.5-2.6 on air.

So what I'm getting from this thread, is that the speed of my system is being more of a bottleneck than my Video Card......
For any newer ATI video cards your system would be CPU limited, have you not heard about ATI "CPU dependant" problems and needed more powerful ones than nVIDIA?

In a way those who said it were correct, but the actual problem is graphic bus throughput in-efficiency. The more powerful the CPU, the more time slices the driver had available for data transfers.

In your current config, an nVIDIA card is a must. nVIDIA graphics not only have more efficient graphic bus throughput, they will also allowed you to OC the graphic bus with greater reliability and performance than any ATI cards.

If you do buy an ATI graphic card, it is imperative to up your FSB as high as possible allowing the CPU to get its data quickly, then getting off the system bus so the ATI card could have greater time slice intervals (bigger latency value) on the system bus for data transfers.

BTW, don't try upping AGP clock, and often it is best to turn off all AGP features or use as few of them as possible, because ATI hardware had little use for them. Think of your ATI card as if it is the typical creative sound cards with typical latency problem but in graphic environment.

For example, my R9700 PRO is best at AGP 4X and all other AGP features are off. My daughter computer with a nVIDIA 5700 is best at AGP 8X, FAST-WRITE and side-band addressing on. Remember ATI_GART is your friend, it will allow difference hack setting per ATI graphic generation hardware types, because they don't follow the same rules except one - as few features as possible and best at default AGP clock..

Wow, FryCry looks really good.

If your 1.4ghz T-bird can run it, I imagine my 1700Mhz Athlon XP would do ok then.

As long as it's playable, and looks good. I don't use AA or AF anyway so I imagine a 9800 is overkill.

Also by reading the post about the efficiency of the ATI cards, I guess having the card I have is right for my system.

Hello,

On the system on my sig below I play FarCry @ 1280X960 everything maxed but the water and I get anywheres from 25-60 FPS with a tweaked system.cfg file. I just played through KOTOR @ 1600X1200 with only framebuffer and softshadows turned off and got a solid 25-30 FPS. I had a 9800XT prior to using the Ti4200 and for what it does I am quite impressed with it.

My 6800 UE will be here next week so the Ti4200 will be going back into the dual celeron box :cool: My advice is if you find one for dirt cheap go for it. Ive been able to run everything out there great ( With no AA/AF ) Im sure it will be able to play the next gen of games on the right system but it will be no subistute for any DX9 card. Cheers

Zachary

Your cpu is fine. it is above an athlon xp 2000+, which coupled with a good video card could run any game out there.

I recommend getting an nforce 2 ultra 400 board and some DDR. a long time ago when i went from sdram to ddr with all same specs, my 3dmark 01 score shot up 2000 points.

But your system will be ok for at least another few months.

dguy6789 said:
Your cpu is fine. it is above an athlon xp 2000+, which coupled with a good video card could run any game out there.

I recommend getting an nforce 2 ultra 400 board and some DDR. a long time ago when i went from sdram to ddr with all same specs, my 3dmark 01 score shot up 2000 points.

But your system will be ok for at least another few months.

Well that's good, I'm really in the mood to go buy some new games. I'm glad I got rid of my Athlon 1400 a while back then, because this XP is much faster than the T-bird. Vice City was slow with my old Tbird.

I'd love to get an NF7-S and some good PC3200 in the future, then eventually an XP mobile.

Shackmaster said:
Well that's good, I'm really in the mood to go buy some new games. I'm glad I got rid of my Athlon 1400 a while back then, because this XP is much faster than the T-bird. Vice City was slow with my old Tbird.

I'd love to get an NF7-S and some good PC3200 in the future, then eventually an XP mobile.
From what i've seen they are exelent OC'ers. I got lucky with my 2500+ when i got it. Stock voltage, all i did was tell it to run at 400mhz FSB instead of 333 :p.
I've got some head room on it i'm sure. However I wont be home sometimes for days on end and I baked my 1700 by cranking it up to high and leaving for 4 days :mad:

Back