How Much Improvement From 2.0A P4 to 2800+ A64?

sonyman

Gawd
How much improvement will I see going from a 2.0GHz 400MHz FSB Pentium 4 to a 2800+ Athlon 64? This is in a different PC, not the one in my sig. More specifically gaming performance; even more specifically Far Cry and UT2004. This is with a 9700 Pro and 1GB of DDR.

Scott

I'd say you'll notice a HUGE increase, maybe even almost 2x the performance.

Liam said:

yep, thats right.

plus, if u get a 2800+ with the abit kv8 pro or other k800pro chipsets, u can oc those 2800's to 2.2+ ghz, which would give it the performance to beat P4 3.4's in games.:)

64bit_is_here said:
yep, thats right.

plus, if u get a 2800+ with the abit kv8 pro or other k800pro chipsets, u can oc those 2800's to 2.2+ ghz, which would give it the performance to beat P4 3.4's in games.:)
I actually got it with the KV8 thanks to the newegg deal in the hotdeals forum. While I am dissapointed with the lack of an AGP/PCI lock, the savings outweigh my dissapointment. ;)

Scott

Liam said:
That would be excellent! I decided after some hard thinking to put off upgrading that PC's gfx card to a 6800 GT and get a new processor instead. My brother, who uses that PC, complains of poor Far Cry performance, and UT2004 also seems to run a bit on the slow side.

Scott

get it youll be soshocked atthe gaming performance. i would say a 30-50% increase in games depending on video card

I agree with [hard]420. 30-50% depending on videocard. But you will notice a difference either ways...

sonyman said:
I actually got it with the KV8 thanks to the newegg deal in the hotdeals forum. While I am dissapointed with the lack of an AGP/PCI lock, the savings outweigh my dissapointment. ;)

Scott

I ordered 2 of the kits from newegg. .

$198 for the combo give's you a nice rig. Even if you can only get to 2.2ghz. I gave in to the A64 when i bought a MSI Neo 250gb, and a mobile 3200+ chip 1mb that run 2.8 stable in my vapo Folding right now for 3 weeks straight now and not a hiccup.

Here's a little thread i have going on the MSI board. 300fsb stable all day long if you have a 2800+, Im about to test the chip now.

http://www.truextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32300

Sell the abit board for $70 on ebay and put it toward a MSI or epox NF3 board!!!

Tedinde said:
I ordered 2 of the kits from newegg. .

$198 for the combo give's you a nice rig. Even if you can only get to 2.2ghz. I gave in to the A64 when i bought a MSI Neo 250gb, and a mobile 3200+ chip 1mb that run 2.8 stable in my vapo Folding right now for 3 weeks straight now and not a hiccup.

Here's a little thread i have going on the MSI board. 300fsb stable all day long if you have a 2800+, Im about to test the chip now.

http://www.truextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32300

Sell the abit board for $70 on ebay and put it toward a MSI or epox NF3 board!!!
I will keep the board. I am not really into overclocking. I just want a fast, stable computer. :)

Scott

sonyman said:
I will keep the board. I am not really into overclocking. I just want a fast, stable computer. :)

Scott

It's a shame Via just cant seem to get the PCI lock down right. When everyone else can.

Certain P4 2.0A's are very special... I have mine OC'd from 2.0ghz to 3.0ghz and it's running just perfect. It's been a year or so now. I snagged the chip from a Dell... It's an SL6xxx stepping I believe (could be SL5xxx, I forget)...

Back