How should WoW end? How should any MMO end?

WoW is a distinct segment of the market, it is also a niche MMO.

No. No it is not.

WoW went for mass appeal, and it got just that. Being the biggest MMO (Isnt it the biggest game in general now?) ever pretty much goes against the very definition of "niche"

No. No it is not.

WoW went for mass appeal, and it got just that. Being the biggest MMO (Isnt it the biggest game in general now?) ever pretty much goes against the very definition of "niche"

Actually it goes with the definition that was posted perfectly.

Actually it goes with the definition that was posted perfectly.

What is this distinctive segment you claim?

I would classify the segments of an MMO community into Soft/Hardcore PVP and PVE players.

WoW has tried to please all of those. It has battlegrounds for the softcore people, and Arenas + gear that requires a high rating for the more hardcore PvPers. PvE has heroic and non-heroic version of every instance/raid, etc.

I'd say that's the very opposite of niche

wow does not have a ending. It will only close down if it looses money and people stop playing.

What is this distinctive segment you claim?

I would classify the segments of an MMO community into Soft/Hardcore PVP and PVE players.

WoW has tried to please all of those. It has battlegrounds for the softcore people, and Arenas + gear that requires a high rating for the more hardcore PvPers. PvE has heroic and non-heroic version of every instance/raid, etc.

I'd say that's the very opposite of niche

It's niche is that it caters everyone's needs and does it all poorly.

Blizzard hypes up a new expansion. It finally comes out and upon inserting the disk into your CD drive your monitor goes black. Then the green Matrix text scrolls down your screen and.....

You are forgetting things.

Physical software sales, promotions (like the mnt dew promo going on), official tournament fees, Blizzcon ticket sales. The list goes on and on and on.

Only way wow will die is when you stop paying for it.

still forgetting microtransactions (realm transfers, char customizations, etc)

Back