How strict were your parents on violent videogames?

If you've been raised in a good enough family with love, then a lot of video game violence is silly. And the family that plays together stays together!

Violent games were different in the early 80s. My brother and I played games like Bruce Lee and Karateka on the C64, but there were no graphic fatalities or nudity to be had.

Nowadays, while I don't mind the violence or gore, there are games that rely on it and that kinda stinks. Good gameplay is good gameplay.

Until we had a computer, we didn't have video games at all. We did have an Atari that died within 2 weeks of being handed down to us, but that was it.

Once we did get into video games, the content wasn't too important, but if the rules ran like movies, sex and nudity were out.

There are some games I simply won't get, and that's pretty much the ones with a lot of sex/nudity. I know enough about the GTA franchise that I won't be getting anything from that line and neither will my kids.

Violent games were different in the early 80s. My brother and I played games like Bruce Lee and Karateka on the C64, but there were no graphic fatalities or nudity to be had.

Nowadays, while I don't mind the violence or gore, there are games that rely on it and that kinda stinks. Good gameplay is good gameplay.

HOLY SHIT! You mentioned Karateka, that game was awesome for it's time on the Apple ][.

Let's see, I was born in 1984 and my brother and I got our first NES when I was around 5? Mortal Kombat came out in 1992 at arcades and the only way I could play it was if my brother gave me a ride to the arcades. The console version came out in 1993 and I bought it on release day with my dad. I was 8 at the time. My parents didn't have any restrictions on R movies and violent games (hell I saw Aliens when I was 6, Alien and Alien 3 when I was 9). Games really didn't start getting violent till after Mortal Kombat. My friend had strict parents and wouldn't let him watch South Park when we were in 8th grade. What's funny though is they weren't as strict with his sister than him which I thought was really funny.

My father was adamant when it came to violent video games. He had to play first. Damn computer hog that he was. :) He could care less about how violent games were. He knew that's all they were was a game, nothing more.

I played and beat Half-Life when I was seven, then the first two Soldier of Fortune games a bit later on as well as Postal 2 in my early adolescence, so they weren't strict at all. My dad would sometimes enter my room while I was pissing on or lighting people on fire in Postal 2 and would ask me if I ever worried that the people I was torturing were actually real in some way, in some parallel universe, and they could feel all the pain I was inflicting upon them.

I hate violence of any kind in real life. Even if I accidentally squish a bug I feel bad. But if malicious aliens ever invaded the planet I wouldn't hesitate before I started kicking some ass.

Considering the fact that my father showed me R rated American movies ever since I was 5 years old, they weren't strict at all. But if there was sex in games and movies, heaven forbid. Funny how society thinks this way.

My parents immigrated from south east asia during the late 70's, to escape a cvil war that was brewing. So my parents were never offended or worried about violence from video games, compared to what they witness first hand and besides, back then video games fell under the category of kid's toy.

My mother had the good sense to instill wisdom that allowed her to not have to explain why violence in a video game is not real therefore she didn't need to watch over my shoulder all the time.

She also had a very active role in my life and didn't just throw me in front of a TV and largely ignore me like so many parents do these days because they can not handle dealing with their child.

If you have to explain to your child over and over again why acting out scenes from a violent video game is bad and it doesn't ring any bells for the parent then I believe whatever that child does in turn is their ultimate responsibility and fault.

Getting tired of the lazy , unwilling to participate parents that act like their kids are nothing but a grand burden on their lives.

Back