How to connect multiple 24-bay boxes

I'm considering upgrading to rackmount system, but I don't understand the expansion issues. I intend on having one 24-bay server with additional 24-bay boxes connected to this main server. What cards and interconnects would allow this? I'd like to hear about the different options for 48, 72, or more total drives.

My current plan would be something like an LSI 16i equivalent + 3x HP SAS expanders where each HP SAS expander would be powering a 24-bay box. This would mean that I have 6x long cables running from each HP SAS expander out the back of the case to the other boxes. Is that the best way to do it?

Seems like a backwards way to do it.

Get an lsi 16e card, and one hp expander per chassis, connect the external hp expander port to the lsi card. Needs 1 cable per chassis.

But using sata drives on sas expenders issues will still exist.

I'm not sure what you mean. The other boxes don't have motherboards. Doesn't the HP SAS expander need a motherboard?

Just daisy chain a bunch of Omnistor SE3016's together.

Just daisy chain a bunch of Omnistor SE3016's together.

Just ordered a SE3016 a week ago but seller still has not shipped it, whats the best place to buy one aside from ebay?

Last edited:
Just ordered a SE3016 a week ago but seller still has not shipped it, whats the best place to buy one aside from ebay?

mrrackables is where I ordered two a month ago. Got them within a week.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Omnistor SE3016 looks interesting, but I don't like how it requires modding in order to swap out the fans for 120 or swap out the psu with a standard atx.

OK, so the HP sas expander can easily be powered with a cheap adapter and the jbod chassis will need a supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 so that the power button works properly.

So this is my basic build plan to start with the plan of adding additional norcos in the future:
2x norco RPC-4224
1x 9201-16i for main server
2x hp sas expander (1 per chassis)

The 16i will be connected to the internal hp sas expander with an 8087 cable and to the external hp sas expanders using 8087 to 8088 cables. This means that there will be a cable running out the back of the main server into the external port of the hp sas expander for the jbod chassis. Is this a solid way of doing it?

8087 to 8088 through a hole works but is a bit nasty, you might want to get a proper internal/external thingy and then use a 8088 cable on both ends. I won't suggest LSI cards with external ports as they're expensive.

if i had a budget and need for multiple interconnected 24x boxes, id go for primary with enough external ports to handle any amount of drives comming drive drive_node/slave box and equip rest of the boxes with some extra cheapass board+cpu+ram to power local expander
using 6 cables to get 24x drives out of the box just doesnt make sense!

youd need just one sas cable to connect new drive node
for it you would be limited to its speeds, but in bonuss, youd have simple setup and management options to remotely login, reboot or powerdown drive node + as extra you can run simple mundane tasks on it

Back