How To Do a 5v Mod For 12v Fans

Probably better off in the Case / Modding forums, but quick synopsis: use Ohm's Law given youir 5V, fan's current draw to find the value of the resistor you need to splice into the 12V line feeding the fan.

Or if you look at a 4-pin molex,. you see that two of corners are cut with diagonals. If you take a razor blade and cut that daigonal part off, you can just plug one side in backwards and BAM!! 12v=5v

Or if you look at a 4-pin molex,. you see that two of corners are cut with diagonals. If you take a razor blade and cut that daigonal part off, you can just plug one side in backwards and BAM!! 12v=5v

So pretty much just plug it in the opposite way?

It was brought to my attention in another thread that splicing red wire to red and black to black will accomplish the 5v mod. However, according to some comments made in this other thread, most 12v fans will not run on 5v. At least, that's what I've been told.

they should run, its just a matter of them being slower, thus producing less sound.

Well, give it a try and see what happens.

Or, you could try one of these, but I guess looking a little closer at the specs, it only goes down to 7v, so that might not be slow enough.

Edit.. Here is one that goes from 0v to 12v. That might do the trick. :)

Back