How to encode (shrink) blu ray

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
Well i ripped a blu ray to my hard drive and its 44.8gb. I want to make it 1080p so make it so about 8-10gb. I tried to find guides but i cant really find any.

So whats a good program to do this with? And about how long would it take using the rig in my sig.

I use RipBot264 for converting my HD-DVDs, but it is also for Blu-Ray. It works great on a fast quad core system. A 2.5 hour movie takes about 10 hours on a Q9550 @ 3.4GHz. I haven't converted anything since I bumped the speed to 3.6GHz.

I did try converting on an E6600 @ 2.4GHz and it was much, much slower (way over 24 hours).

Hopefully when Badaboom 1.1 (or later) is stable and has higher h.264 profile support, the conversions can be sped up a lot better.

RipBot264 makes crappy quality stuff. Try and google for a guide on how to use MeGUI. x264 + AVISynth is the only way to go.

RipBot264 makes crappy quality stuff. Try and google for a guide on how to use MeGUI. x264 + AVISynth is the only way to go.

Or just skip MeGUI altogether and just use x264+AVISynth.

I'd suggest the OP take a look at forum.doom9.org and read some of the outstanding posts/guides they have there.

Or just skip MeGUI altogether and just use x264+AVISynth.

I'd suggest the OP take a look at forum.doom9.org and read some of the outstanding posts/guides they have there.

Well it makes it a little easier.... but yea, doom9. Sometimes I wish the HDB Wiki was open to non-members, it would really help explain things. :D

You must be doing something wrong, all the rips I have done look awesome.
Film size varies from approx 6GB to 11GB with 640Kbit AC3 5.1 sound.

For DVD quality, yeah (I use Nero Recode 2... much better quality). It doesn't look bad for 1920x1080 video at all and I have made several high quality 1080p rips. I don't want 25GB rips or care about lossless audio. I can just use images of the stripped ISOs for that size range anyways.

Some people don't like to mess with the science project stuff, especially after winding up with unusable files after many hours of converting. ;)

You must be doing something wrong, all the rips I have done look awesome.
Film size varies from approx 6GB to 11GB with 640Kbit AC3 5.1 sound.

Awesome is relative. RB264 is great for little encodes, and HD stuff for Youtube, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for ultra high quality L5.1 1080p BD rips. There are better, more intensive solutions out there.

ive been reading the hd bits wiki and its helping me but im sorta confused. i think ill understand it better once i have all the files on my pc and i can see what type they are.

ive been reading the hd bits wiki and its helping me but im sorta confused. i think ill understand it better once i have all the files on my pc and i can see what type they are.

Your a member? Well damn, that makes things a lot easier. Just read through the guides there, it will eventually make sense. Good luck.

Awesome is relative. RB264 is great for little encodes, and HD stuff for Youtube, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for ultra high quality L5.1 1080p BD rips. There are better, more intensive solutions out there.

Interesting.
I havent previously felt the need to look for other tools as they look that good
I am interested in doing a comparison test if you pass me a link to the tools or a guide for them.

Thanks.

Interesting.
I havent previously felt the need to look for other tools as they look that good
I am interested in doing a comparison test if you pass me a link to the tools or a guide for them.

Thanks.

x264 + AVISynth ( and assorted other tools) give you a much more robust feature set. There are GUI's (such as MeGUI) that will help streamline the process. I suggest browsing the forums over at doom9.org.

Back