How to go virtual with my WHS

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
I have a WHS v1 that the mobo went bad. I'd like to move it to my main machine as a VM, but I don't know where to start. Help!

If you just want to move the data from the drives...You are going to want to load up and create a new virtual machine first. Windows Server 2003 OS as the template. Install WHS fresh. Once finished you can pop in your drives and manually pull the data off before adding the hard drive back in the pool.

First:
What virtualization program are you going to use?
Type 1 (baremetal): ESXi. XenServer, Xen
Type 2 (hosted): Virtualbox, VMWare, KVM
See this for reference

Second:
Do you want to start with a fresh copy of WHS? (might not have a choice since you lost your MB)
If you do, follow eagleknight's suggestion.
Otherwise, do some google searches for P2V for your selected virtualization platform. You might have problems with this since some tools require you to boot into your existing OS.

Third:
Data Transfer
This will depend on your available hardware and what virtualization you choose. We can work with you on this once #1 and #2 and chosen.

If you're loading it into a dedicated VM environment then it's as simple as installing the drives in that box and making them available to the WHS VM raw and turning that VM on. If you're trying to run it as a VM in a workstation, I don't know how many hosted VMs support raw block devices so you might have to turn your drives into VHDs which would require even larger drives in a workstation to store those drives on...

Definitely easier to do the baremetal way with ESXi, xen, or hyper-v

I was hoping to use VirtualBox or Windows VirtualPC. I know I can read the data on the drives with a Windows box, and am doing so right now. It looks like I will create the VM then transfer my data to it.

Virtualbox is a good choice. I would suggest creating a OS VDI, then create a a second data VDI. You could use a Windows share, the built in Virtualbox shared folder, or create a raw drive passthrough to transfer the files.

It is, in theory, possible to just use the raw passthrough as your data drive, but I do not know the long term stability of that arrangement.

Back