How to install custom NB coller on AB9 quad GT?

rybeck

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Recently I purchased AB9 quad GT, and very satisfied with it.
Since I am leaning to slight OC, I need to cool the system down as necessary, and start from NB.
Yesterday, with help from another forum, I found this NB cooler, and think of getting it soon.
The question is, 'should I take off entire factory heat sink (for NB and MOSFET), or can I MOD it (let's say cut the MOSFET part and let it sit there..)?'
Here is my setup pics, just in case...

Any suggestion would be appreciated...

Thanks.

You could probably get away with taking the entire thing off to attach the new HS. I'm not sure about that exact motherboard but usually the mosfets don't really need huge heatsinks. I'm sure that the extra block is conducting mostly heat from the NB through that heat pipe. If you take the whole thing off it is always possible to put back on. I personally would just take it off and put the new one on the NB. If you have a temp gun you can use it to monitor the mosfets to see if they get to hot. Otherwise just got by feel, if you can't touch them they are so hot they burn you....thats to hot :D . Seriously though I dont think that heatsink is as much for the mosfets as it is for the NB so you should be fine.

I guess I am going to take off whole thing first and try custom NB cooling first..
DFI Infinity p985-s doesn't even have any HS on MOSFET, and wasn't sure if they didn't put any on purpose..
Abit AB9 quad gt's MOSFET HS is getting hot, and NB part is hotter (can't hold finger touched more than a sec...)
Gotta look around possible HS for MOSFET without breaking original one. Need to hold RMA, just in case...

Back