How to playback iso's

karkas

Weaksauce
I'm currently planning my HTPC project, I've been researching for weeks and I feel almost as lost today as I did when I started.

I want to rip all my DVDs, HD-DVDs, and blue rays to .iso because I want to preserve everything from the original and keep my digital library build from turning into a full time job. (I will rip them to iso with anyDVD HD)

Does anyone know of a media player which will recognize these .iso formats and display them in a graphical interface which can be navigated with a remote control (the remote would be a luxury, so I would be willing to use a wireless mouse if absolutely necessary).

I also need a sofware solution for recording TV to my home server (either linux NAS or WHS, I haven't decided yet.)

I really want this to be so easy my kids can navigate and watch their movies at the age of 4-5 years old.

I have looked at media extenders, but it seems their support of iso playback leaves much to be desired. It seems silly to me that there isn't a simple solution to this since there are a million sofware solutions which play video_TS etc and programs like daemon tools (which I use).

Thanks in advance

Already tried it. I got it to play normal dvd iso, but not an HD DVD iso, it doesn't even see it. It was late at night and about a week ago, so if someone thinks I'm wrong, I'm willing to try again...

Well, riping to .iso seemed like the cleanest & easy to maintain way. As well as one click burning if need be. I thought I had tried just ripping to vobs, but had issues with playback... I don't remember very well though, since I usually only get time to play with the project etc late at night after a 10 hour workday, so what worked and didn't get brain jumbled after a while....:eek:

Maybe there is a way to write a script to click, mount, & launch DVD ultra. I'd have to learn how to script first though, so I'm not sure how viable that option is... :confused:

i know VLC plays ISOs..

you could mount them with Daemon tools.... and then play see if that works with the HD ISO's...

Vista Media Center + MyMovies + daemon tools to auto-mount the ISOs

The trick is, some Blu-ray movies won't work properly under PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra v3319a, and hacked HD DVD support in PowerDVD 8 won't work for some HD DVD titles. You'll need to use the custom external launcher script for MyMovies to launch either PowerDVD 7.3 v3319a or PowerDVD 8 depending on which movie title it is. It's real easy to do, and when you add a new movie, you'll just need to specify in the config file which program you want to open it in. You can find a tutorial for how to do it on the MyMovies forum. Restricting yourself to ISO's doesn't leave many other doors open for you.

i know VLC plays ISOs..

you could mount them with Daemon tools.... and then play see if that works with the HD ISO's...

That's what I was trying to avoid, the whole mounting and playing process... I have power dvd ultra already, so I can play iso's with daemon tools by selecting the file.

Are you saying that VLC can play iso, hddvd iso, and blu ray iso by browsing the library? No mounting? I'm a tad confused by your post.

P.S. Are you the same Mr.Guvernment on OCF?

Vista Media Center + MyMovies + daemon tools to auto-mount the ISOs

The trick is, some Blu-ray movies won't work properly under PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra v3319a, and hacked HD DVD support in PowerDVD 8 won't work for some HD DVD titles. You'll need to use the custom external launcher script for MyMovies to launch either PowerDVD 7.3 v3319a or PowerDVD 8 depending on which movie title it is. It's real easy to do, and when you add a new movie, you'll just need to specify in the config file which program you want to open it in. You can find a tutorial for how to do it on the MyMovies forum. Restricting yourself to ISO's doesn't leave many other doors open for you.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Restricting yourself to ISO's doesn't leave many other doors open for you.

Is there a better way I should be doing this to preserve the entire DVD?

If you want the structure and all the extras, not really. I just do the main movie title and audio tracks to x264 in an MKV container. It makes things 10x easier, and playability across the board in different applications and devices is simple.

If you want the structure and all the extras, not really. I just do the main movie title and audio tracks to x264 in an MKV container. It makes things 10x easier, and playability across the board in different applications and devices is simple.

I've tried that route into an MKV container, it seemed to be a giant headache using eacto3, typing into cmd trying to extract audio tracks & subtitles... the whole think seemed like waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much work to simply back up and watch DVD's from a hard drive rather than my disc.

Is there an easy guide/sofware you follow or know of?

u need deamon tools to mount the iso and u can playback in tmt or powerdvd
if u get the my movies plugin u can do that inside media center

staxrip is awesome to convert movies.. it takes a little getting used to, but it's very powerfull

after you have them in whatever format.. xbmc is the way to go

XBMC + Movie Info Plus = bliss

the new aeon skin is coming in a month i think, it's looking very cool.
the look and feel can be changed for xbmc, there's a ton of options for it out there

both are free and development is very active

Back