How's the GT210 for light 1680x1050 gaming?

lobski2

Gawd
It's for my little brother, and he'll probably be playing games on a 22" LCD with the lowest settings.

What games would you guys recommend for the GT210? (passive version!)

The geforce 210 is a card I would give to people I hate. That's how bad it is.
There is really nothing redeeming about it. It performs worse than any other card in its price range. At 1280x1024 it will not even break 20fps with low settings on DirectX 9 games. If you paid more than $10 for it you got ripped off, they would have to pay me to take it.

The only games I would recommend to play on the GT 210 are those 2D flash games or Popcap games. The GT 210 is simply an inadequate card for 3D gaming unless you're fine with 640x480.

Yeah the GT210 is like an overclocked integrated card ripped out of a motherboard and then a pci-e interface thrown on.

What is your price range?? I bet I can hook you up with a much better card for the same price, not that finding a better card is hard at all LOL

It's for my little brother, and he'll probably be playing games on a 22" LCD with the lowest settings.

What games would you guys recommend for the GT210? (passive version!)

well you heard about the GT210 above so I will ask the standard question that will let us help you, namely we need the rest of your system specs. right now the best advise I can give you is go with a 5670, will work with most any psu or system and will allow for moderate gaming on a 22" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-870-_-Product this one is 68 dollars shipped AR. I would simply avoid Nvidia at the low end as they are not really very strong there (I am being nice here)

I was about to defend the 210 a little and tell the op that the card was fine. It cant be much worse than some of the other entry level offerings over the past years and I have seen plenty of little brothers play on less-than optimal setups.. So I go a look up reviews and I was astonished. There really is no good reason to buy this card for 3d gaming. Even at low resolutions and settings it struggled to keep up with even 220 which was in most benchmarks double the 3d fps.

Inno3d even said "Using a GT210 once again is pointless."
and finishes with "Both the GT 210 and GT220 are sufficiently enough cards for normal desktop usage. The GeForce GT 210 however is extremely stripped down and should be used for very generic PC usage (desktop work) only"

well you heard about the GT210 above so I will ask the standard question that will let us help you, namely we need the rest of your system specs. right now the best advise I can give you is go with a 5670, will work with most any psu or system and will allow for moderate gaming on a 22" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-870-_-Product this one is 68 dollars shipped AR. I would simply avoid Nvidia at the low end as they are not really very strong there (I am being nice here)
No for that price one can snag an 8800GT/9800GT and have FAR more performance

No for that price one can snag an 8800GT/9800GT and have FAR more performance

first off that is assuming without any other info that his rig can support it (has a good PSU and such)

and that he doesn't have any need for the newer card

and that the 9800GT outperforms the 5670 http://www.anandtech.com/show/2917/14 as it doesn't really, esp for the extra heat and power.

now depending on his budget and available psu I would probably recommend different but he didn't give any more details and is looking for the cheaper card here

first off that is assuming without any other info that his rig can support it (has a good PSU and such)

and that he doesn't have any need for the newer card

and that the 9800GT outperforms the 5670 http://www.anandtech.com/show/2917/14 as it doesn't really, esp for the extra heat and power.

now depending on his budget and available psu I would probably recommend different but he didn't give any more details and is looking for the cheaper card here
Well assuming it can support it, and who cares if it marginally beats it or not.

It beats and costs less!!

This 4770 for $60 wouldn't be a bad deal either

Old post but 4850 for $65

for a little more a 250GTS for $80

The geforce 210 is a card I would give to people I hate. That's how bad it is.
There is really nothing redeeming about it. It performs worse than any other card in its price range. At 1280x1024 it will not even break 20fps with low settings on DirectX 9 games. If you paid more than $10 for it you got ripped off, they would have to pay me to take it.

So you don't like it?

Yes, the GeForce 210 is only very slightly faster than an 8400 GS, which in turn is only at about the same level as a 6200. So, not worth anywhere near its going price right now.

@ the OP: It SUCKS! It lags playing games with the Source engine. You definitely want to get something better. As the others have stated, the GT240 or better would be a good choice.

Last edited:

Yes, the Steam engine, the GT210 would have a hard time running this, don't you think? :D

steam-engine-736381.jpg

As I stated earlier, I cannot recommend spending even a single penny for a discrete GPU that's actually slower than some on-motherboard or on-CPU IGPs. That's exactly what the GeForce 210 (or G210) really is.

The gt210 is already coming with a HTPC I bought from a member here. :)

How much could I get for the GT210? I may sell it and get him a 460 or something. Any takers?

Yes, the GeForce 210 is only very slightly faster than an 8400 GS, which in turn is only at about the same level as a 6200. So, not worth anywhere near its going price right now.
a 6200 is only about half as fast as the g210 or 8400gs. a 6200 will not even play many games even on the lowest settings possible.

a 6200 is only about half as fast as the g210 or 8400gs. a 6200 will not even play many games even on the lowest settings possible.

I remember running Doom 3 on a 6200OC from BFGTech, I could run it at 800x600 at get about 20fps with med-low settings. I don't think the GT210 is going to handle any games beyond 2004 easily. ;)

I remember running Doom 3 on a 6200OC from BFGTech, I could run it at 800x600 at get about 20fps with med-low settings. I don't think the GT210 is going to handle any games beyond 2004 easily. ;)
yeah the g210 is horrible for most modern games. but I was just saying the 6200 is even way worse. :eek:

you can tell by looking at it that it isn't meant for gaming.

however, stick it in an older computer, and you got an instant htpc thats actually pretty decent.

Well I had a computer with 2gigs of ddr2 and a single core 2.7 ghz le1640 amd are somethingl ike that...

The gpu stays at 20 to 40 percent and the core is maxed out on the cpu....

it plays blurays PERFECTLY fine... and my wife plays sonic all stars raceing at around 40 frames per second...with everything on normal settings at 1366x768 on our tv... It plays all emulators fine.. and plays everything at that resolution with around 30-40fps...... mine has 512mb of gddr3 1400 mhz shader and 16 stream proccesors... I would say it's equivlent to a 7950 are so to be honest....

If you have a walmart computer with a single core... are an htpc..... this will bottleneck your pc.. DONT KNOCK IT TILL YOUVE TRIED IT...

I have a 1920 by 1080 monitor with a gts 250 and a q9550... therefore i know the diffrence in gameplay.... if you do't have alot of money get this... but If you are willing to spend 40.. spend 70 and get a better card... if your cpu can push it... like i said this has been to around 40 percent gpu max... with the cpu at 100 percent...

The gt210 is already coming with a HTPC I bought from a member here. :)

How much could I get for the GT210? I may sell it and get him a 460 or something. Any takers?

You might be able to sell it on ebay but i don't think anybody on these forums would buy such a video card except to use as a doorstop or paperweight.

There are far better cards to be had. The GT210 is basically a rebadged 9300/9400 IGP stuck in a discrete form factor. Good enough for HD video and Aero at the desktop, but that's about it.

If you're serious about even light gaming at 1680x1050 you would be better served by far by even a cheap, used 8800GT.

There are far better cards to be had. The GT210 is basically a rebadged 9300/9400 IGP stuck in a discrete form factor. Good enough for HD video and Aero at the desktop, but that's about it.

If you're serious about even light gaming at 1680x1050 you would be better served by far by even a cheap, used 8800GT.

actually its a cut down version of it. it only has HALF the ROPS and memory bus width of the 9400GT.

Im amazed at the fact that this thread is still alive when the answer is a simple "no, its not good for gaming at 1680x1050".

Does all this hate also go for the G 210M? I just ordered the Asus UL50VT and supposedly it is game worthy.
Benchmarks don't look too terrible with everything on low.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-G-210M.17638.0.html

Its worse. Those frames you are seeing are from cpu bound games. Notice that games that even rely on a gpu even a tiny bit are unplayable. Not to mention that I seriously doubt they are playing at 1680x1050 on a laptop. Probably some low resolution in a 800x600 ranged only widescreen.

maybe I shoulda just got the 4250 laptop for $280, if its just gonna be for basic use...

I woulda thought the 512 dedicated and cuda endabled would of helped alot in photoshop/gaming over the 4250.

maybe I shoulda just got the 4250 laptop for $280, if its just gonna be for basic use...

I woulda thought the 512 dedicated and cuda endabled would of helped alot in photoshop/gaming over the 4250.

no. at least not appreciatively. the GT210 was meant as an OEM card, IE the bare min to get by with. it barely does windows areo.

As in integrated as the right choice for an HTPC (AMD integrated)

not really. it doesn't do as well as a lot of integrated chips. again the GT210 was meant as an OEM card, IE the bare min to get by with.

Back