HP Envy 17-New Model

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
The Envy is a rare exception to the "HP is crap" addage, at least it was when I bought my Envy14. However, it is my understanding that the "prefab" Envy versions often lack features (may have crappier screen options etc..) in easily hidden ways compared to the built-on-HP type. Just be wary because the big things (CPU, RAM etc...) will be the same, but you'll actually be getting less from the big-box store prefab type. I suggest going to hp.com and building an Envy the way you want it, then comparing it; it may take some time to find others who bought a prefab serial number and reported on what was really inside.

That's not the new model. The new model is 17-3xxx and the chassis looks different.

It is more squared like a macbook, with a slight indent where they keys are, and a hardware volume knob on the right side.

I've been following these for quite a while and here's what I know:

There are no full reviews out for the new Envy's yet. The notebooks officially became available for purchase on Dec. 7 at the hp website. People who have ordered them have received a ship date of Dec. 23 at the earliest.
The GPU is supposedly the 7690m in the 15 and 7690m XT in the 17. They are supposedly both rebranded Whistler cores, although some people are saying they 7690m XT is something faster.
I find it pretty absurd that 2 weeks after the product has been on sale, no one has a test model or shipped unit, and we don't even know the name of the GPU, HP still has them listed as "AMD Radeon 1 GB" when you go to configure it.
The upgraded "Radiance" 1080p display in the 15 is IPS, but the one in the 17 or 17 3D are not.

There are a couple coupon codes if shopping on the HP store:
Envy 15 = Save 33% (NBH7589)
Envy 17 = Save $500 (NBY3757)

Apparently there seems to always be some variation of similar codes on the HP store, but they come and go from what I hear.

Overall, looks like a nice PC alternative to a macbook for a lot less. Still baffling how much HP's marketing has failed so far though.

Last edited:
That's not the new model. The new model is 17-3xxx and the chassis looks different.

It is more squared like a macbook, with a slight indent where they keys are, and a hardware volume knob on the right side.

I've been following these for quite a while and here's what I know:

There are no full reviews out for the new Envy's yet. The notebooks officially became available for purchase on Dec. 7 at the hp website. People who have ordered them have received a ship date of Dec. 23 at the earliest.
The GPU is supposedly the 7690m in the 15 and 7690m XT in the 17. They are supposedly both rebranded Whistler cores, although some people are saying they 7690m XT is something faster.
I find it pretty absurd that 2 weeks after the product has been on sale, no one has a test model or shipped unit, and we don't even know the name of the GPU, HP still has them listed as "AMD Radeon 1 GB" when you go to configure it.
The upgraded "Radiance" 1080p display in the 15 is IPS, but the one in the 17 or 17 3D are not.

There are a couple coupon codes if shopping on the HP store:
Envy 15 = Save 33% (NBH7589)
Envy 17 = Save $500 (NBY3757)

Apparently there seems to always be some variation of similar codes on the HP store, but they come and go from what I hear.

Overall, looks like a nice PC alternative to a macbook for a lot less. Still baffling how much HP's marketing has failed so far though.

damn... code has expired already.

The new 15" Envy has me intrigued. I'm thinking about replacing my MBP with it.

thats good info! the envy will be great for my gf and didnt realize that hp has the new models i knew that they came out but assumed that the gpu was just the 6850 not the 7000 series, either way since its rebadged dont see much increase on that. However, any coupon codes will be very helpful since I need a new computer too!

Just pulled the trigger on the 15" ...an IPS display w/ 140+ppi on a notebook? This is definitely worth a look. Theres a 30% off coupon that expires on the 28th btw, NBT3886...

Didnt the old Envy 15 use 5830m before? this new used something worst than the year old version.
Doesnt really make sense to me..

Back