HP L2335 questions

aamsel

Gawd
The 3 year warranty claims to even includes onsite coverage for the HP L2335 ?
I am about to go with one.

My questions and reservations on the HP L2335 are:
1.) reviews which claimed aliasing or tearing issues?
2.) supposedly 2 versions of the firmware, I assume anything sold now is new?
3.) how much backlight bleeding, since this is supposed to be the same panel as the Apple Cinema display which had tons of backlight bleeding.
4.) It is not a display that is loved or hated, but some of the reviews, as I said are mixed. The Anandtech review is the best with the highest praise for it.

I had a Dell 2405FPW (actually 3 of them) and finally got a refund. Not impressed with the quality control on it, don't know if the HP's are checked more thoroughly?

I was deciding between the HP L2335 and a Samsung 214T. I realize fully that the Samsung is not widescreen and only has composite input, but it seemed like a quality display that people are quite happy with. I would like to be able to display TV (the HP will do it high definition) and do page layout, office apps and occasional gaming, and each would do me fine, the Samsung costing a good bit less. I am about ready to order the HP. If anyone has any other comments about the HP L2335 or the Samsung 214T they would be most welcome. Yes, I realize FULLY that they are totally different beasts. I don't absolutely need widescreen, mainly favor the HP for the component in.

Andrew

I had a 2335 for about nine months. It's a pretty good display, better in many regards to the 2405. Backlight bleed was not an issue on mine - very even backlighting andpretty decent black levels. Not spectacular in that regard, but solid enough. Other than that, the colurs are nice and accurate, viewing angles very good and pixel response good enough for all but the most sensitive people. Mine didn't have the most powerful backlight, which was a bit of a worry for the long term. People criticise overly bright displays, but the good thing about a super strong backlight is that you can always turn it down - then as the backlight loses brightness with use you can ramp it up. I wasn't crazy about the styling of the chassis, but all in all it's got to be one of the better 23/24-inch displays out there right now.

Actually you can't always turn it down. I had a Dell 2405 and at minimum brightness it was still too bright. Then you are forced to adjust card drivers which doesn't change the backlight, only alters the info sent to the LCD and this method never produced good results for me. I have a Dell 2007fp right now, and it has a much better (lower) backlight IMO. I have it at 39 and it both looks right and is easy on the eyes. The 2405 killed my eyes.

I am getting rid of the 2007fp as well. I wan't a S-IPS panel.

Well, there are always exceptions, but in truth, not many people found the 2405 too bright @ minimum, though I agree that the 2405 should have offered greater range on the backlight.

I owned 2 of these monitors briefly for a couple of weeks.

I had read so many positive reviews concerning this monitor including much praise from this forum but I was highly dissapointed when I received mine.

There was a horrible amount of cloudy backlight bleeding on both of the units (i beleive manufactured around oct-dec 2005) and each of them had a few annoying permanent stuck (bright green) pixels.

Also there was tearing when I was using the monitor in portrait mode though I guess it was probably due to the video card.

Colours were ok but less rich than the HP f2105 (using the samsung S-PVA as opposed to the l2335's LG S-IPS.) Although lcd buffs generally favour IPS for wider viewing angles, this was not the case as I found color values began to shift when moving more than 30 degrees left of right from the centre / 20 degrees top to bottom.

I also plugged in my gamecube to the side video inputs and it looked like ass, but I guess that's to be expected of an analog source.

I had the same problem. Brightness at zero with DVI was almost blinding compared to the LCD's I had been using. Anyhow, my last 2405 has gone back.

Also, any comments on the Samsung 214T ???
(yes, I know it is standard aspect, no component).
The only gripes I have read about it are for those that were manufactured in Mexico. I don't know it the current ones are from Mexico or Taiwan?

Andrew

caboosemoose said:
Well, there are always exceptions, but in truth, not many people found the 2405 too bright @ minimum, though I agree that the 2405 should have offered greater range on the backlight.

minase said:
I
Colours were ok but less rich than the HP f2105 (using the samsung S-PVA as opposed to the l2335's LG S-IPS.) Although lcd buffs generally favour IPS for wider viewing angles, this was not the case as I found color values began to shift when moving more than 30 degrees left of right from the centre / 20 degrees top to bottom.

I have Dell 2007fp (S-PVA) and if the viewing angles are atrocious. Hardforum is a good test. I don't even have to move off angle. Just looking at the grey and it glares all over the screen.

This is going back and I won't buy another PVA under any circumstance.

Interesting comments of the cloudy backlights, mine was near enough perfect. Must be quite a variable panel...And mine certainly wasn't too bright at minimum, if anything the maximum brightness was a little disappointing, or maybe the backlight has gone off after nine months hardcore use....

Anyone else have any comments about the HP L2335 or the Samsung 214T?
Yes, I have searched and have read all of the threads relating to them.

Andrew

I just got my HP L2335 and there is a review on this website about it, along with my posts and pictures towards end of thread.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39244#39244

This is my first LCD monitor and I upgrading from 17inch CRT gamer so bare with me.

The bad; back light bleeding lower left corner tolerable, one stuck pixel in red, having problems running it in full screen in some ratios with DVI (need to test AGP mode). My radeon 9800 pro vid card is probably not good enough for gaming with this size but seems okay at 1280x768 in Counter Strike Source. It will run all the games at 1920x1200 but seems laggy. I did video stress test from CSS @1920x1200 and got 53fps, and 1280x768 was 107fps. Runs web browers, desktop, and such nicely at 1920x1200. $999.00 from HP, but you can buy cheaper at pagecomputers.com, and some other places. I chose HP because of the great return policy.

The good; beautiful colors, sharp text, no tearing, no ghosting, lot of inputs, easy to adjust height so fits in my desk opening. No input mouse lag that Dell 2405 reportedly has. 30 days if I dont like it HP will refund money. 48 hour exchange as well no questions.

AMD64 3400, radeon 9800 pro, 1 gig memory

I posted my experience in a few threads. Here it is again.

I tried the HP L2335. It has the same panel as the Apple, but for some reason, it dithers colors while the Apple does not. This is especially visible in gradients. It looks like some sort of patterned dithering. I don't know why nobody else has ever mentioned that.

I also went through three units with different manufacturing dates, and all three had very bad backlight bleeding, much worse than the Apple. "Cloudy" is the perfect word to describe it. On one unit, the panel wasn't even mounted properly. The image was slanted and off-center. I ended up returning them.

As for the questions:

1. I don't know what you mean by aliasing issues, but tearing happens on every monitor. It's just easier to see on LCD monitors.
2. The firmware was updated last year, so the ones manufactured recently should have the new firmware.
3. The ones I tried had more backlight bleeding than any other LCD monitor I've ever used. Your experience may vary.
4. I've tried several different 23"/24" monitors. I think the 23" Apple Cinema Display is the best for gaming, and the Sony SDM-P234 is the best for color quality, but to be honest, I don't think any of the 23"/24" monitors are quite "there" yet. They all have problems that they shouldn't have. I'm seriously considering getting the NEC 20WMGX2. It's smaller and has a lower resolution, but if it's as good as people say it is, it just might be worth it. It also has the video inputs you're looking for and is HDCP-compliant.

Thanks a lot.
More backlight leakage than the Apple would be bad, since the Apple is known to have leakage, is it not?
I know that the NEC has a glossy panel, which won't work for me, since I am around fluorescents.
How about the Samsung 214T?
I have heard a lot of good about it, except for some who got units made in Mexico. I know it only has composite video in, but that is not the deal-killer for me.

Andrew

ToastyX said:
I posted my experience in a few threads. Here it is again.

I tried the HP L2335. It has the same panel as the Apple, but for some reason, it dithers colors while the Apple does not. This is especially visible in gradients. It looks like some sort of patterned dithering. I don't know why nobody else has ever mentioned that.

I also went through three units with different manufacturing dates, and all three had very bad backlight bleeding, much worse than the Apple. "Cloudy" is the perfect word to describe it. On one unit, the panel wasn't even mounted properly. The image was slanted and off-center. I ended up returning them.

As for the questions:

1. I don't know what you mean by aliasing issues, but tearing happens on every monitor. It's just easier to see on LCD monitors.
2. The firmware was updated last year, so the ones manufactured recently should have the new firmware.
3. The ones I tried had more backlight bleeding than any other LCD monitor I've ever used. Your experience may vary.
4. I've tried several different 23"/24" monitors. I think the 23" Apple Cinema Display is the best for gaming, and the Sony SDM-P234 is the best for color quality, but to be honest, I don't think any of the 23"/24" monitors are quite "there" yet. They all have problems that they shouldn't have. I'm seriously considering getting the NEC 20WMGX2. It's smaller and has a lower resolution, but if it's as good as people say it is, it just might be worth it. It also has the video inputs you're looking for and is HDCP-compliant.

fishy1234 said:
I did this Nokia test program so you can see my new HP L2335. Decide for yourself. This image is actual screen shot captured with Alt+C, then pasted.

cf7f0d7ba5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Umm, dude, you're joking - right? You do realise that taking a screen shot of a screen quality test tells you nothing about the out of screen itself, don't you?

caboosemoose said:
Umm, dude, you're joking - right? You do realise that taking a screen shot of a screen quality test tells you nothing about the out of screen itself, don't you?

It is downright scary the amount of people I have seen do this to show what their screen looks like.

what can I say, it was late I had a brain fart...

Sorry for the mess up, cant believe I did that myself.

Will a photograph of this on my computer help, or should I let it go?

Well, it might help a bit, but you're introducing all sorts of variables - the camrra you take the picture with and the varibale quality of the displays people use to view it. That said, there are some things you can capture on camera pretty well, including viewing angles and backlight bleed.

The HP is not as good as the Samsung 244T. BUy the Samsung, it's well worth the extra money. Not to mention you gain an extra inch. An extra inch is very useful, ask any woman. :D

the 244t, besides being expensive, is a 24'' WS monitor that's HDCP compliant on the display end, which should be cool... and I personally know a couple of people who own one (they live outside of NYC though and I can't actually try their monitors)...they're casual gamers at most, and they like the monitor...

BUT there are a ton of threads on this very site that point to very noticable input lag with the 244t...that would scare me from buying it unless I could spend some time on one myself...

I've got the L2335, no noticeable backlight bleed in any particular corner. No noticeable input lag, either. No stuck/hot pixels. Out of the box, it was like a searchlight in terms of brightness, but you can change the settings to take care of that.

All of these 23" panels are made by the same company---or they were at one point---the different manufacturers just wrap a different electronics suite around them, and casing, obviously.

I suffer from an almost terminal case of upgradeitis, always looking for the next marginal upgrade. That said, I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade the HP L2335. For what I do, I don't think I can find a better panel in that size range.

Oh, one other bonus. Ever watch the show 24? Check out their widescreen panels. HP L2335's, LOL.

Happy Hopping said:
The HP is not as good as the Samsung 244T. BUy the Samsung, it's well worth the extra money. Not to mention you gain an extra inch. An extra inch is very useful, ask any woman. :D

244T = lots of input lag. Until they fix it, it isn't better than the HP, imho. I'm usually a fan of samsung LCDs too, the L2335 replaced dual 191Ts.

As far as the woman comment goes, try to find one who'll actually tell you the truth. Hint: What you're looking for isn't something you have to go digging for. :)

I had asked about the 214T (not the 244T) and the HP.
Yes, I know the 214T is a standard aspect ratio model, just wondering about it since it seems to get overall great reviews, other than some which are made in Mexico.
I am deciding in the next day or so between the HP and a smaller monitor. The price is not the issue, just want the best overall quality.

Andrew

caboosemoose said:
The Samsung 244T has horrible input lag, do NOT buy under any circumstances. I have one in at the moment so I speak from experience:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1049569

Back