HP laptop no lcd video but external display works.

hardc0re

Gawd
works when hooked up to external display but the lcd does not work. stopped working a month after warranty expired (go figure) and its not eligible for HP's extended warranty for the known display problem on these units. I want to fix it myself but don't know if it's the LCD's inverter board or actual motherboard to replace.

model# Ga483ua

I used to troubleshoot a lot of laptops and occasionally the lcd cable was loose or came off the motherboard. I´m not sure how to do it on your laptop but if it´s not too difficult I would recommend trying to reseat the lcd cable to the motherboard, just in case. It would save you a lot of money if you didn´t need to replace the lcd or motherboard ;)

If you do end up needing to try replacing the lcd or motherboard, I would definitely try the lcd first. I suspect it would also be cheaper than the motherboard.

HP DV2402, crappy built laptop, gonna buy an IBM next time. I'll take it apart of the weekend and inspect it, the LCD inverter board is 9 bucks USD on ebay. If that dont work i wont bother as new motherboard is 350$, not worth replacing IMO. I'll sell it As is if that's the case.

HP DV2402, crappy built laptop, gonna buy an IBM next time. I'll take it apart of the weekend and inspect it, the LCD inverter board is 9 bucks USD on ebay. If that dont work i wont bother as new motherboard is 350$, not worth replacing IMO. I'll sell it As is if that's the case.
Did you finally figure out the prob? Because I've got the same problem w/ mine except my laptop is a pavilion zt3280us.

A couple older laptops i had, the ribion cable that connected the LCD to the Motherboard has developed cracks and lost connection. Check your cables :)

A couple older laptops i had, the ribion cable that connected the LCD to the Motherboard has developed cracks and lost connection. Check your cables :)
I'll give that a try I'd hate to have to get a new laptop seeing how mine is 5 years old and I've got NO and I do mean NO MONEY.

Since it shows something on an external monitor, then the video card still works.

To check the inverter, either shine a flashlight onto the screen - if you can see bits of your screen, then the inverter is bad.

Unfortunately, some laptops' video card is on the motherboard, so you'll have to replace that if by chance it is the video card. Again, check your cables.

yeah if it is outputting video to an external display then you can eliminate the video card/IGP being the issue. It is the LCD that went bad

Since it shows something on an external monitor, then the video card still works.

To check the inverter, either shine a flashlight onto the screen - if you can see bits of your screen, then the inverter is bad.

Unfortunately, some laptops' video card is on the motherboard, so you'll have to replace that if by chance it is the video card. Again, check your cables.
I checked the inverter, by shining a flashlight onto the screen & I can see bits of your screen, so then my inverter is bad.

Unfortunately, my laptop video card is on the motherboard it's a ATI mobility Redeon9200 w/ 64mb. of memory.

So my GF lappy would turn on but wouldn't display any image on the screen.
Hooking up external display didn't show anything (tried s-video and d-sub).
I dug up the service manual and got all the way down to the CMOS battery and after resetting it the laptop did reboot and LCD screen did show boot screen. But when I turned off the laptop and restarted the LCD was dark again and no boot screen anymore. repeating the CMOS battery resetting doesn't do anything anymore.

So
I know the LCD screen does work.
I know the GPU is working also.
is something faulty with the cables? - this thread got me thinking it might be the problem.

What you guys think?

Also is there anywhere I can pickup laptop motherboards on the cheap? - besides ebay.
I also have an old Dell Inspiron 6000 (with ATI X300) with, what I believe to be, a faulty motherboard.

If when you turn the laptop on it gives all appearances that it's working, and you shine a flashlight at the LCD panel or at the least look at it from some sideways angle and you can actually see something there, it's the backlight or the inverter. In my experience, when such issues are so flaky it's typically the inverter more often than the backlight itself.

I checked the inverter, by shining a flashlight onto the screen & I can see bits of your screen, so then my inverter is bad.

Unfortunately, my laptop video card is on the motherboard it's a ATI mobility Redeon9200 w/ 64mb. of memory.

Try searching Your laptop model and "inverter" in ebay, to see what you come up with.

I did it for you... You can find the inverter board At this Ebay seller store

If you get this, and it fixes it, let us know :)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry for the late update, hadn't logged in [H] for a while...

I replaced the inverter board with a $10 one from Ebay. Did not work.

I'm not going to spend any more money on this thing, just not worth it...

Back