HP Laptop Wireless Problems. HELP!

SpangeMonkee

[H]ard|Gawd
The missus has an HP ZE4400 AMD XP2400+ laptop connecting wirelessly to our D-Link DI-614+ wireless router via a Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA card. The connection is HORRIBLE! The signal rating goes up and down and left and right. It drops out or just doesn't work. It originally connected via the onboard Broadcom 802.11g, but I thought it was the culprit and installed the Linksys adapter. Not the problem at all. I installed a Hawking omni-directional antenna to see if that would help, but no dice. I can't figure it out. Anybody that comes over with a laptop connects just fine. No problems with the WAP and they usually "see" the other six wireless networks of my neighbors. My wife's laptop can't see any of this. My router has the latest and great firmware, but nothing seem to help. Any clues?

It's runng XP Home. I've done a clean install without all the HP crap and get the same results.

Interference?

Just confirming, you see the same exact behavior with the integrated card and the PCMCIA adapter? Are you disabling (in the BIOS preferrably) the onboard wireless when you use the PCMCIA card?

amenthes said:
Interference?

Just confirming, you see the same exact behavior with the integrated card and the PCMCIA adapter? Are you disabling (in the BIOS preferrably) the onboard wireless when you use the PCMCIA card?

yes, the onboard is disabled within windows. It can't be disabled in the BIOS.

Back