HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

the models released last year were 25ms

I heard they upgraded the panel rev or firmware to make the response time 4-8ms
Think this was all models after Oct 09

At the very least, I would say that input lag is not a major reason to pick this over the Dell. There may be other reasons, but input lag is not a great one.

I would strongly advise against buying this monitor. Quality control is abysmal, and even if you get a 'good' one, there are still a bunch of issues.

I've read the rest of this thread, from page 50 where I posted about my own monitor to the current page 70 and I have to say that Skakruk you complain the loudest of out anyone here about your 5 returned monitors. Perhaps you are unlucky or just notice the red-green tint issue more strongly than others and should just have HP buy this monitor back from you and let you go buy another model from another manufacturer, such as Planar or NEC.

However, I'd beg to differ in opinion that there are quality control issues at HP with this monitor. I have one that I bought last year and it has been nothing but great in quality and reliability so far. I also had problems with this monitor at first but I was able to adjust it to fix all of them, the too-bright whites, the color over saturation, and other minor annoyances. I recommend that you take a look at my thread for how I fixed my issues and maybe you can fix your own with the tint.

HardForum - LCD: 24" IPS - HP LP2475w, Planar PX2611W, NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK

Once I get the second one I'll post up the details and a side-by-side review against my current model to see what changed from the December 2008 released model.

I've been quite happy with mine. First one had the tint issue, second (replacement panel) has been flawless to date. I just hope they had it as a 30" model.

I thought I would post a quick update now that I've had my LP2475w for just under a month.
I love it :).

As I mentioned in my previous posts, mine came with a mild case of the unfortunate and apparently very common green-pink tint issue, but I can honestly say I haven't noticed it more than a couple of times in the last three weeks. It's still there after 373 backlight hours, so I'm guessing it's never going to just magically disappear, but I just don't pay attention to it anymore after those first few days where I (quite naturally) spent a lot of time looking for flaws and problems.

Additionally with the step up in resolution (I came from a 22" 1680x1050 monitor) my screen habits have changed a bit, so I no longer have web browsers and most other applications near maximized, but instead typically resized to take up somewhere between half and two thirds of the horizontal screen space, so even in cases with a large white or other light background, the tinting issue is mostly camouflaged.

I'm still quite satisfied with the color and brightness/contrast settings I arrived at back in early January. I haven't used a calibration tool, as I don't do any color critical work, so I've just gone with what looks natural to me (I started out with the settings posted at TFT Central, but they resulted in a horrible green tint).
Here are my current settings:

Brightness 18, contrast 65, R 251, G 222, B 242 (and RGB black level, accessible through the HP Display Assistant, R 50, G 40, B 50).
Additionally I have Digital Vibrance (saturation) in the Nvidia control panel set at 37 (default is 50 in recent driver versions), to help counter balance the "radioactive" wide gamut colors (red in particular) in applications without color management (which is nearly all the ones I use).

My fourth monitor is on the way and I should have it tommorrow. This third one has some serious image persistance issues on the right side(also green-pink tint, but I have seen worse). After a day of use I could see a dark cloudy spot where I kept a All CPU Meter gadget. Right side is a bit warmer, but I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. I'm really beginning to hate this model. :(

Can someone explain why wide gamut is bad for color critical work?

The HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional is 133% wide gamut & that is HP's flagship model

If you are doing color critical work the programs you use should be color aware correct? If so then it doesn't matter if its wide gamut or not.

Last edited:

The HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional is 133% wide gamut & that is HP's flagship model
It is bad if you are creating images destined for SRGB colourspace, (web & video)
Wide Gamut monitors show oversaturated & inaccurate colours in SRGB, no mater how they are compansated.
If you work in Photoshops Pro Photo RGB then there is no issue.

Oversaturated "burning" colors in non-color aware programs. (practically 99% of non-professional applications) Basically game or application wants certain color in sRGB colorspace and sends the monitor proper coordinates, but color coordinates in sRGB and aRGB colorspaces do not match, resulting in much stronger, sometimes even completely wrong (bright slightly brownish red tends to be orange for example) colors.

Now, very highend monitors like above mentioned LP2480zx has a functional sRGB emulation mode (AFAIK anyway) so you wont have that much problems with non-color aware applications, (though emulations might cause some banding) but in case of LP2475w it doesnt have such emulation. Though OSD shows the option for emulation, it doesnt work.

Regarding the input lag, this is the review I'm basing my statement on: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/monitors/2009/07/28/hp-lp2475w-24in-widescreen-tft-review/4

Here's the quote:
"Something that's important for those who play fast paced FPS games is input lag, or rather, a lack of it. Using a stopwatch program when we first looked at the LP2475w in Custom PC (Issue 70), we found the LP2475w lagged 31ms behind our control monitor - a Dell 3007WFP-HC which suffers from next to no input lag. This is a noticeable amount of input lag, so the old version of the screen wasn't great if you play a lot of Unreal Tournament 3 or CS:S.

However, as HP has updated the panel, the new revision of the LP2475w has only 4ms of input lag. This is fantastic news, as the high input lag was one of the few flies in the ointment for the LP2475w when we looked at it earlier in the year."

From what I understand, it's the Q2 2009 and later panel revisions which have next to no input lag compared to the prior versions.

Unfortunately, another HardForum user, who recently bought a 2nd 2475w, did the test, and they do not confirm the lowering of the input lag. Perhaps contribute in his thread if you have further info on this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414852

(See posting #76 for the input lag measurements.)

A lower input lag would certainly have made the 2475w an even better monitor, but it's still very nice as is. ;)

Regards, Patrick.

Unfortunately, another HardForum user, who recently bought a 2nd 2475w, did the test, and they do not confirm the lowering of the input lag. Perhaps contribute in his thread if you have further info on this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414852

(See posting #76 for the input lag measurements.)

A lower input lag would certainly have made the 2475w an even better monitor, but it's still very nice as is. ;)

Regards, Patrick.

Patrick already beat me to it but I'm the person who bought the second monitor and I ran two different input lag tests on it with the monitors side-by-side in clone mode and confirmed that there is absolutely no difference in input lag at all between these two monitors. The details are in my thread below including the results of side-by-side Lagom LCD Test results for both old and new versions of the same monitor.

The following posts give you the info.

#71 - The Second Monitor

I received the second monitor yesterday and I set it up. Here is the information of both monitors, old first, new second.

Model: HP LP2475w, HP LP2475w

Hardware: GIG122, GIG173
Firmware: GIG052, GIG077

Unknown: S-L1106, S-L0924
Panel: LPL LM240WU4, LGD LM240WU4

Produced: December 2008, December 2009

Retailer: ProVantage
Price: $ 508.18 USD, $ 508.99 USD
Shipping: $ 20.45 USD, $ 20.45 USD

Backlight Hours: 2070, 1

#76 - Input Lag Test

I did as you requested, and the result is the same input lag for for both monitors.

4307782943_ce65a52219_b.jpg

#78 - Lagom LCD Tests

The Response Time test shows the exact same results for both monitors, side by side in clone video mode, meaning that there is no improvement or change in input lag time between the 1-year old December 2008 version and the new December 2009 version of the monitor.

4307893227_01618da5fe_b.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any difference in negative ghosting between old and new versions? My old year-old has some here and there.

Is there any difference in negative ghosting between old and new versions? My old year-old has some here and there.

I ran the Lagom LCD Test - Response Time with the moving bars and there is clearly visible negative ghosting shown as a black trailing bar at any of the 64/128 96/224 128/255 tests on both monitors and the issue looks the same on the old and new version.

You can see the images of this below in my post that I just made today.

#82 - Lagom LCD Tests - Individual Monitors

Just ordered mine today. Dell wouldn't honor their discounted price of $529 all-in and it would be 10 days before I recieved my U2410. Told them to shove it and ordered a LP2475w from TigerDirect for $543 shipped instead. Fingers crossed on getting a good panel...

Last edited:
Found out I'm getting mine drop shipped directly from an HP factory. So here's hoping I get the latest firmware/panel.

Put an order in for a LP2465 refurb at newegg for $222 shipped. Good idea? HP says their warranty on refurbs is the same as for new products, so I figure if I have problems, I should still be fine to get it replaced until I get a unit to my liking. It's not the same model, but I'm just looking for input.

Wanted to post that I have had my 2 monitors for a year now and they are still going strong. 2465 backlit hours as of tonight. F/W/ Version GIG 034 and GIG 032. Bought directly from HP Business.

hey,
i have one simple question.
i really need to buy a monitor and have to choose between the lp2475w and the u2410 by dell.
i have the tendency to buy the hp lp 2475w because of the better ability to show blacks.
now i would like to know if there will be a successor of this monitor in the next time an which monitor you would choose, the u2410 or the lp2475w.
thanks a lot.

This is probably asked already, but reading through a few pages I couldn't find it. How is the anti-glare coating on the HP LP2475w compared to the Dell U2410? Is it exactly the same? And if so, people complain that the anti-glare coating is 'grainy'. Is it really that bad?

[X]eltic;1035270626 said:
This is probably asked already, but reading through a few pages I couldn't find it. How is the anti-glare coating on the HP LP2475w compared to the Dell U2410? Is it exactly the same? And if so, people complain that the anti-glare coating is 'grainy'. Is it really that bad?

I'll be able to tell you here in a couple hours once my unit gets here.

I got a refurb'd LP2465 from geeks.com a month and a half ago for $197 shipped... This is one sweet monitor - I got it for work where they'd stuck an old 19" Dell 5:4 aspect "porthole" on me and I got tired of having a headache by the time I got home. I was a little worried (first refurb anything I've ever bought) but I shouldn't have been - it's been flawless, not even any dead or stuck pixels. Stuff I like:

1) Tack sharp image in spite of the fact the decrepit Dell Optiplex (2.8 GHz P4) only has VGA output - no more eyestrain.

2) Powers on instantly.

3) The stand is magnificent; I usually have a couple of developer meetings a week where we have to go over some code, and it's really handy to raise it up and rotate it into portrait mode - and the viewing angles are nice and wide so we don't all have to cram in behind each other.

4) Vibrant color.

Any negatives? Well, coupled with the stand, this thing is massive in terms of desk space taken up compared to other LCD monitors I've used - the monitor itself is pretty thick too so it "juts out". Also - since it's a refurb - the "SquareTrade" warranty would run three times as much as for a new model, so I decided against getting one this time. That's about it.

The monitor I've got at home (which I use for gaming as well as development) is one of the last 24" Soyo monitors with the MVA/PVA panels and I was sorely tempted to swap them out, but this one's more useful for work, that one's more useful at home (and has less input lag supposedly). I paid $299 for my Soyo when I got it - if anybody can snag one of these for $250 or less, I'd say jump on it. Just my two cents - I can easily believe this thing was around $800 when it first came out.

--KS

Put an order in for a LP2465 refurb at newegg for $222 shipped. Good idea? HP says their warranty on refurbs is the same as for new products, so I figure if I have problems, I should still be fine to get it replaced until I get a unit to my liking. It's not the same model, but I'm just looking for input.

I got a refurb'd LP2465 from geeks.com a month and a half ago for $197 shipped...

You both do realize that you're talking about a different model number with different LCD panel technology according to TFT Central.com, right?

Code:
HP LP24[B][U]6[/U][/B]5  - 6ms G2G - 24"WS Samsung [B][U]S-PVA[/U][/B] (LTM240M2)
HP LP24[B][U]7[/U][/B]5w - 6ms G2G - 24"WS LG.Display [B][U]H-IPS[/U][/B] (LM240WU4-SLA1)

I was confused when you mentioned you found the HP LP2475w for ~$200 and I went looking on the web for it but only found refurbished models for ~$480+.

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday. WOW.

+1. I'll share my first impressions.

At first, I thought coming from a 22" that this wouldn't be much larger, but upon unpacking this beast I was pleasantly proven wrong. Both the monitor and stand looks sheik and professional. Very well built and sturdy. Height, swivel and tilt are rather effortless to adjust, and with the exception of the awkwardness of pivoting the monitor into portrait mode, ergonomic adjustments are smooth. Manufacture date is November 2009, and the panel revision is GIG153. Firmware is revision GIG072.

Upon first turing on the monitor there was a very visible green to pink screen gradient from the left to the right on the screen, but after 30 hours or so of backlight use this is mostly un-noticeable unless I purposefully look for it on a pure white background. There are no dead or stuck sub-pixels.

"IPS glow" is present due to the lack of an A-TW polarizer, but it is not very perceptable unless you have a letterboxed image (say, 2.35:1 CinemaScope films?) or have an all black or dark image on-screen. Still, it's not as bad as backlight bleed from a TN panel. There is no perceptable backlight bleed on this sample. Black levels are excellent and easily rival many PVA panels that I have seen, "IPS glow" withstanding.

Input lag is imperceptable at the LP2475w's naitive resolution using DVI or 1-1 pixel scaling. However, there is noticeable input lag if you run at lower resolutions using the built in scaler to stretch to aspect or fill modes. 1-1 pixel scaling for 1920x1080 is fixed in the latest firmware through all digital inputs and component. Haven't tested VGA though so I can't confirm.

Pixel responsiveness is excellent. Even though this panel is rated 6ms for GtG transitions, it easily outperforms my previous Viewsonic VX2240w based on a "2ms GtG" TN panel, with little to no ghosting, and while there are RTC overdrive artifacts, these are nearly impossible to see unless you are looking for them, and even then they are far from severe.

Wide gamut is very evident upon powering on this monitor, but the TFTCentral ICC profile and RGB color settings produce very rich and vibrant colors with stunning depth. I did turn up the contrast and backlight settings from 64/15 to 80/50. The calibrated settings are too dark. sRGB mode is slightly darker but but does not subdue the nuclear reds and greens, it just washes them out instead.

Finally, the AG coating does produce a "sparkle" or "dirty" look on the screen, but this is, like the tint gradient issue, mostly un-noticeable unless you look for it up close on bright images.

All in all, this is the best $550 I have ever spent for my PC, and am pleased to own this gem of a monitor.

Last edited:
You both do realize that you're talking about a different model number with different LCD panel technology according to TFT Central.com, right?

Argh. My bad. I did a search on LP2465 and this thread came up, I read a few of the posts (which just happened to be also mistakenly on the LP2465 hence the original search hit) and as a result misread the subject line before posting...

I have a weird issue I just came across with this monitor.

I just bought a new laptop and when I use an hdmi cable from the laptop to the monitor the desktop will not fill the screen, it has black bars around it even when I up to the monitor's resolution.

When I use an HDMI -> DVI cable this problem does not occur.

Thoughts?

I have a weird issue I just came across with this monitor.

I just bought a new laptop and when I use an hdmi cable from the laptop to the monitor the desktop will not fill the screen, it has black bars around it even when I up to the monitor's resolution.

When I use an HDMI -> DVI cable this problem does not occur.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure this problem is simply that when using HDMI, the graphics driver assumes you're connecting to a TV and not a monitor. And because many TVs overscan, it automatically shrinks the picture so it's not cut off. You should be able to change these settings in your graphics control panel somewhere.

Just got my LP2475w tonight for $400 total. Nice monitor. It doesnt blow away my FHD2400 like I thought it would, but the color is pretty good once it's calibrated. Color me impressed so far.

I've had a LP2475w in front of me for a few hours. HW Rev. GIG173, Poland January 2010, Firmware GIG 077.
A few impressions: I couldn't notice any apparent tint issues, but it had a stuck blue pixel. The blacks were pretty good but unfortunately destroyed by the infamous "glow", it's actually hard not to notice. Makes it feel more like a TN to me. Sure would look great with an A-TW polarizer. And last but not least there's wide gamut which is really annoying... Apart from those obvious disadvantages, a great monitor. I couldn't hear any noise. The can-be-switched-off power led should come into fashion (and on this model it's indespensible).

New problem.

Using an HDMI cable, the monitor will not show 1920x1200, it will only do 1080p.

Using a HDMI cable w/DVI adaptor to connect to the monitor it will not work period.

Using a HDMI to DVI cable it will work.

I'm not sure what's causing this - is there a way to get it to work doing full resolution?

Has anyone tried "overclocking" this monitor to higher refresh rates using Displayport or duallink DVI cable?

New problem.

Using an HDMI cable, the monitor will not show 1920x1200, it will only do 1080p.

Using a HDMI cable w/DVI adaptor to connect to the monitor it will not work period.

Using a HDMI to DVI cable it will work.

I'm not sure what's causing this - is there a way to get it to work doing full resolution?

Can't help you with your problem, but I'm using a DVI-I (computer-side, a somewhat oldish P4-2.4GHz with an NVidia 7600GT card) to HDMI cable (monitor-side) with my LP2475w, and that works perfectly at 1920x1200.

Have you tried another cable?

Regards,

Patrick.

I couldn't see anything similar in this thread.
Sorry for the over sized images, it was the only way to show the text on the menus while showing the whole monitor
My monitor is running firmware GIG 077
My problem is this:
Running on VGA, on my BIOS screen, I see this:

^So this is correct; the monitor is correctly detecting the resolution as 720x400

But on DVI, my BIOS screen looks like this:

The monitor thinks the resolution is 1920x1200. As a result, the image control menu (the option to scale 1:1, scale to ratio etc) is greyed out.

Does anyone else get this issue?
Also when I set the resolution to 1920x1080 and 1280x720, the monitor thinks the resolution is 1920x1200, so the image is stretched; there is no scaling possible as the image control menu is greyed out.

Last edited:
old thread...

In your graphics card control panel you should be able to change it to what you want. In my nvidia control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position", I can select a bullet "Use my display's built-in scaling".

crushed!! i ordered this monitor about a week ago and HP just hit me back today saying it is backordered :(

edit: i should mention the jerk on the phone told me it was IN STOCK.

anyone know if they're permanently going out of stock?

chris_n, that's strange! I just checked newegg.com where it appears to be a "disabled item." I just got mine from them about a month ago too.

Hopefully they'll still get one to you, it's a nice monitor.

crushed!! i ordered this monitor about a week ago and HP just hit me back today saying it is backordered :(

edit: i should mention the jerk on the phone told me it was IN STOCK.

anyone know if they're permanently going out of stock?

Hahahaaa... typical HP. Not laughing at you, but at HP. I ordered a preconfigured laptop from them that the website said would ship within a week, but now the ship date is early April--at least 3 weeks away. Good going, HP.

I've tried looking for this monitor but couldn't find it in stock anywhere for a good price.

Back