HTPC video question

Fark_Maniac

2[H]4U
I'm looking to rebuild my HTPC that will also double as my home based mini web server that runs on VMware.

I've decided to go AM2 with a X2 4000+ Brisbane due to power consumption and cost. I'm looking at some 690G chipsets and they look great...but I can't find anything with a regular RCA/Component TV-out port.

I'm going to be using WinXP MCE 2005...so I need a vid card that is up to snuff (the onboard should do it)...but my TV only has coax and the component in...no dvi, vga, hdmi ports. However, I do have an old PCI Radeon 9200 card that has a TV-out port. Would you guys think MCE would use the onboard video card for the video decoding...but allow me to simply output the desktop/video via the 9200? I think this would work...but wanted to get some more opinions.

now that I think about it...I can do the same thing now...just run it in parallel with my 9700pro

The Gigabyte 680G S2H uATX board has a riser for component / svideo out.

Personally I would look at ATi 780 chipset boards as they now have a much better integrated card that fully supports BD / HDDVD playback (the 690G will only do BD / HDDVD if you have a really fast CPU).

The Gigabyte 680G S2H uATX board has a riser for component / svideo out.

Personally I would look at ATi 780 chipset boards as they now have a much better integrated card that fully supports BD / HDDVD playback (the 690G will only do BD / HDDVD if you have a really fast CPU).

yeah, but every place I've looked for the 12CR1-1AU001-01R, it is sold out and back ordered everywhere.

on my budget, won't be getting BD/HD any time soon. My setup consists of a 27" standard TV and a 2-channel (4 speaker) setup. My current "htpc" has been having troubles in general for some time now...tax return is helping move this along.

Back