I am looking for the perfect PC/Console gaming monitor.

NickJames

Supreme [H]ardness
I have gone through so many monitors and currently sitting on the ROG Swift. I have been searching for something that would let me enjoy both console gaming and PC gaming at the switch of a button. Unfortunately the ROG swift does not allow for console gaming. Does such a thing exist?

Main features I would like
  • 27"+ Screen Size
  • 144/120HZ
  • Glossy/Semi Glossy
  • Console Gaming Compatibility
  • G-Sync or FreeSync
  • 2K+ Resolution

If it is G-Sync it has only DP port, so no HDMI connection (I think that's what you meant with it not allowing console gaming). Freesync can have more inputs.

If it is G-Sync it has only DP port, so no HDMI connection (I think that's what you meant with it not allowing console gaming). Freesync can have more inputs.

K then forget G-Sync or any Sync, I'll just take everything else.

Just wait for the Asus MG279Q, which is supposed to multi-input, include freesync, and use a 144hz IPS panel.

Ugh ASUS hates glossy displays, guess I'll wait and see on it.

The thing is, there's no multi-input, 120hz+ glossy displays at higher resolutions, and there likely never will be. It also kind of depends what you're referring to by semi-glossy -- light matte (grain-free), or true semi-glossy (1% haze).

The Asus should use the same panel as the newer Acer XB270HU, which was confirmed by TFTcentral to use a grain-free matte coating, unlike the ROG Swift's grainy matte coating.

The thing is, there's no multi-input, 120hz+ glossy displays at higher resolutions, and there likely never will be. It also kind of depends what you're referring to by semi-glossy -- light matte (grain-free), or true semi-glossy (1% haze).

The Asus should use the same panel as the newer Acer XB270HU, which was confirmed by TFTcentral to use a grain-free matte coating, unlike the ROG Swift's grainy matte coating.

Every matte monitor I have ever owned had such horrible grain. When I finally got one of those Korean 27" displays I was wowed by how crisp and clean the colors were. Then I went back to the Swift because it was 144hz. Why is it they can't make a 2K 144hz monitor that supports PC gaming and standard console 1080p?

"I am looking for the perfect PC/Console gaming monitor."

ROFL... why not ask for world peace while you're at it!

Every matte monitor I have ever owned had such horrible grain. When I finally got one of those Korean 27" displays I was wowed by how crisp and clean the colors were. Then I went back to the Swift because it was 144hz. Why is it they can't make a 2K 144hz monitor that supports PC gaming and standard console 1080p?

I'm with you on the grain. I absolutely can't stand a grainy matte screen. A grainy screen negates any benefits to anti-glare for me.

We're gamers, we aren't known for going outside or having tons of natural light in our room. Who cares if it's glossy or not!?

12629d1346139182-sony-trinitron-multiscan-e500-21-pc-monitor-sale-pics-sony-monitior.jpg

/thread

So basically a monitor doesn't exist that outputs both 144hz or 120hz and 60hz for console use?

So basically a monitor doesn't exist that outputs both 144hz or 120hz and 60hz for console use?

Not yet, not with the coating you want. If your Korean monitor was matte, then you'd likely be fine with the Asus MG279Q's coating, again, if it uses the same panel as the Acer XB270HU, which it should.

As for glossy: it's not that they can't make them, rather, monitor manufacturers seem to not care to make them. We had some very minor success pleading Acer to produce some glossy monitors, but the response we received was a bit on the demoralizing side.

Last edited:
"I am looking for the perfect PC/Console gaming monitor."
Hello NickJames !
Welcome to the club!
Well, to be honest, there is a little bit of queue (up to million people) and we are not currently accepting any new members but feel free to consider yourself as one!

Oh, and yes, one more thing - if you find such monitor you automatically will be accepted as a headmaster of the club.
Good luck!

You might as well go looking for Bigfoot or Unicorns. You'll find those just as quickly. The perfect monitor, like almost anything else doesn't exist. There is always some trade off you have to make to get most of what you want. The best you can do is find something with the least amount of negatives or only one or two negatives you can live with.

I want a 48" 144Hz, 8k IPS monitor with no IPS glow, no ghosting, no PWM flicker, that supports both G-Sync and FreeSync, through HDMI or DisplayPort. Oh, and I'd like all the benefits of a glossy display without the drawbacks. Sadly, that doesn't exist. No setup I've ever had was free of drawbacks.

The problem is that most console games are made with the assumption that you're sitting on a couch playing on a huge TV. That's why they usually have a very narrow field of view, which when played on a monitor feels like you have binoculars on but is ok when playing from further away.

I'd recommend getting a display for each purpose if you have the space.

You might as well go looking for Bigfoot or Unicorns. You'll find those just as quickly.

Jesus aint that the truth. Ive been overdosing on monitor research the last month or so trying to figure out what would be the right upgrade path for me or if I even should now and its maddening. "This monitor looks great but games like shit. This monitor games great but looks like shit. This monitor does both ok but costs $800".

It makes it a lot harder when nobody has any fucking monitors out on display so you can actually make a choice on your own without having to rely on reviews. Best Buy is about the only place around and all theyve got are a bunch of entry level screens all playing a demo video and not actually games or a desktop to work with. About every night I rage quit reading reviews and shopping and swear Ill just keep my HP 25" for the next 20 years but my the next afternoon Im rummaging thru TFT Central reviews again.

I own a 50" vizio that does 120hz at 1080p , good for desktop use at 4k and blacks are amazing almost comparable to my Samsung f8500 plasma
Also 4k at 60hz can be achieved through a video card.
Console games look actually great and supposed to have one of the lowest input lags on the market for a tv
Got it for 410 bucks refurb at Walmart. Retails 699.00 costco

It's the new model

dmonkey, those couldn't reach 144 hertz at 1440p res, but I believe they can do over 150 if not 200hz at res around 1024x768.

Sucks for gaming, but competitive gaming, they are a lot better than majority of LCD's. I havent played on any 240hz panels, but I have always noticed things never feel as sharp and smooth on LCD at say 144hz as a CRT at 144hz (but that is subjective.)

In regards to OP, I would recommend acers XB270HU, its pretty beastly. If price is an issue go for the best 144hz you can get.

The problem is that most console games are made with the assumption that you're sitting on a couch playing on a huge TV. That's why they usually have a very narrow field of view, which when played on a monitor feels like you have binoculars on but is ok when playing from further away.

I'd recommend getting a display for each purpose if you have the space.

I do have both but I feel more comfortable gaming at my desk. I loved having my old 24" monitors and being able to just change inputs on the fly to console or PC mode. But after upgrading to 2560x1440 I lost that ability. Then I further upgraded to 144hz and back down from that would also be significant loss for me.

So no high refresh rate 2560x1440 monitors with multiple input support? Shame, guess I keep waiting.

@dosinu

I don't think that Acer has what I am looking for. It's restricted to PC/Displayport only. I already have the ROG Swift but I just wanted something to make switching between PC and console gaming easier.

Get a nice monitor arm and two displays, one for console and pc.

The aesthetics wouldn't be too pleasing to the eye having two different brand monitors. Also I am pretty limited on workspace.

Back