I am loving my I7 920 DO !

That is awesome, what batch number is it?

I am currently at work. Will let you know when I get home.

congrats 4.2 on air is good what temps are you geting?

About 53 degrees above ambient. I am in Houston and it gets pretty hot in my room. With a 30 deg C ambient, I am looking at around 83 C on the hottest core during stress testing.

wow nice temps try to get higher clocks see if you can push it more =p shoot for 4.4 =p

I dont feel comfortable going over 85 deg C. Maybe if I get a socket 1366 water block, :)

Man I can't wait to get comfortable enough with my rig to start overclocking my 920.

Want to get a different cooler on the cpu as opposed to the intel stock one.

I noticed this quote in your review.

Intel recommends a maximum temperature of 67.9 Deg C for the CPU heat spreader. This translates to roughly 84 deg C for the cores. Therefore, during overclocking you would want all your cores to stay below 84 C.

The 67.9C specification is designed for system builders. If they keep the Tcase temperature measured at the geometric center of the IHS below this temperature then they shouldn't have to worry about the CPU thermal throttling even when running the most demanding programs like Prime95 and LinX. This allows them to design cases, select heatsinks and decide how many case fans and what rpm they need to use.

Thermal throttling is controlled by the core temperature and throttling generally doesn't happen on most Core i7 CPUs until 100C. I've seen a few ES processors with TJMax set to 92C or 93C and a few of the new D0 CPUs with TJMax set to 99C but most of them are 100C.

There is no direct connection between core temperature and Tcase temperature so a 67.9C Tcase measurement does not always equal a 84C core temperature. The difference in temperature between these two readings depends on what software you are running.

The CPU temperature reading that your bios reports is not always accurate so if you are using software to report this number, keep that in mind.

As long as your computer is stable and not thermal throttling, you can run it at whatever core temperature you like. If Intel thought their CPUs were going to blow up at 85C or 95C then they would lower TJMax and the thermal throttling point to prevent this.

Nice overclock on air. :)

The 67.9C specification is designed for system builders. If they keep the Tcase temperature measured at the geometric center of the IHS below this temperature then they shouldn't have to worry about the CPU thermal throttling even when running the most demanding programs like Prime95 and LinX. This allows them to design cases, select heatsinks and decide how many case fans and what rpm they need to use.

Thermal throttling is controlled by the core temperature and throttling generally doesn't happen on most Core i7 CPUs until 100C. I've seen a few ES processors with TJMax set to 92C or 93C and a few of the new D0 CPUs with TJMax set to 99C but most of them are 100C.

There is no direct connection between core temperature and Tcase temperature so a 67.9C Tcase measurement does not always equal a 84C core temperature. The difference in temperature between these two readings depends on what software you are running.

The CPU temperature reading that your bios reports is not always accurate so if you are using software to report this number, keep that in mind.

As long as your computer is stable and not thermal throttling, you can run it at whatever core temperature you like. If Intel thought their CPUs were going to blow up at 85C or 95C then they would lower TJMax and the thermal throttling point to prevent this.

I agree with all that. Just like any other engineering specification, for any other engineered product, intel's 67.9 specification has a safety factor built in to it.

And yes, Tjunction is usually more that 85 C. The 85 C is a general rule of thumb and is a reasonable number to go by when you are overclocking. Ofocurse, you could run your chip at 100 C and not see any thermal throttling, yet someone else might see throttling at 95 C. I look at 85 C as a "safe" temperature, which is well below where an I7 will start to throttle.

Of course, you could run your chip at 100 C and not see any thermal throttling, yet someone else might see throttling at 95 C. I look at 85 C as a "safe" temperature, which is well below where an I7 will start to throttle.

I think with Core i7, Intel has tightened up their specs. TJMax is written into each individual processor now and if TJMax is set to 100C then thermal throttling will start at 100C.

With Core 2 CPUs there seemed to be more of a fudge factor built in. They would tend to start throttling about 2 or 3 degrees before TJMax.

I haven't tested but I think if you were running Intel Linpack with the OEM cooler, when the maximum core temperature was hitting 100C, the measured Tcase temperature would be 67.9C.

I agree that a core temperature of 85C is safe. I just wanted to let you know that if you go a degree or two or three higher than that, your CPU will still be OK. I find stability is the most important thing to be concerned about. If your computer is stable and it's not thermal throttling, you really don't have to worry about your core temperature.

RealTemp reports thermal throttling in the Thermal Status area. As long as it shows OK, your CPU hasn't been thermal throttling. It reads this bit directly from each core of the CPU and is independent of the reported core temperature. If your CPU thermal throttles even for a millisecond, RealTemp will change the word OK to LOG to show that thermal throttling has been logged. If this ever shows HOT, that means that thermal throttling is in progress.

Intel provides a lot of safety nets so users can get the most of their CPUs.

there is no reason to be running ANY cpu or gpu up past 80-85C as you can, but good luck having stability for a reasonable lifetime of components if your running into the 90-100C range...

They designed thermal throttling to prevent damage if something unexpected happens (for instance if the heatsink dislodges and the cores suddenly heat up) but no one in their right mind would run anything beyond 80-85C for any amount of daily use.... (even if your only getting those temps under linpac)

Just starting stretching my 920 DO legs. Hit 4ghz without a sweat. I'm on water and will be testing the limits over the next few days. My max temp thus far is around 70 degrees at 1.28v. Love this chip, highly recomend this cpu.

How much different is the D0 actually? Is it worth going out of your way to find one?

How much different is the D0 actually? Is it worth going out of your way to find one?

If you do not have an I7 CPU and are looking to buy one and overclock it, I would say it is worth it to search for D0.

My batch # 3914A114

can someone please tell me where and how i can get a d0 chip for my build. is it possible to check them online or basicly you get what u get. i dont have a microcenter or even a place anywhere near me that sells cpus

can someone please tell me where and how i can get a d0 chip for my build. is it possible to check them online or basicly you get what u get. i dont have a microcenter or even a place anywhere near me that sells cpus

buy a xeon w3520, its the server version of the 920 and only comes in D0 rev. cost alittle more but people say they are higher binned 920s

Got mine from Antares Digital... there are others who can guarantee a D0 but AD was the cheapest for me at the time.

Back