I am so incredibly sick of AMD drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerpro3

LightningRod
I've had an ATI card for the last year and a half. I started with a HD 5770 then moved to a 6950 and, trifler 6950's, and now settled on crossfire 6950's.

I've had it with the piss-poor drivers and will be moving to NVIDIA as a direct result of constant problems with them. I don't care if NVIDIA is 30% slower - that's how much I hate ATI drivers.

Countless times, on brand new clean install's I've had them BSOD the machine with system_service_exception. I've had dozens of updates fail with "install package error." How about these two bits of sloppy coding - first, certain update wouldn't install unless you changed the default directory to ATI instead of ATI technologies because of a few non-updated .dll's, and more recently the drivers don't install if your Microsoft visual C+++ package is a newer version than what comes bundled in the drivers.

Quite frankly, it's sloppy coding and completely unacceptable for public release.

Don't even get me started on the latest 11.10 preview, where the overdrive and crossfire tabs are completely missing on a brand new install of windows.

Going to Microcenter right now to buy 2 GTX 580's.

Good Riddance.

I was under the impression the ATI/AMD drivers were a lot better these days...

Uhh the 11.10 previews are only meant at the moment for BF3 beta... so, gratz on getting PO with beta drivers??

And well, he had some weird bugs apparently, or didn't understand the nature of beta//preview drivers.

Uhh the 11.10 previews are only meant at the moment for BF3 beta... so, gratz on getting PO with beta drivers??

And well, he had some weird bugs apparently, or didn't understand the nature of beta//preview drivers.

LOL I understand the nature of preview drivers just fine.

Nvidia's worked great though!

The preview driver issues were simply the latest in a long line of mishaps - on completely fresh installed systems, no less - on multiple computers that I own.

Simply put, the drivers suck.

I had trouble with AMD driver too.Tried CCC 11.6b on my 5770 and get constant black screen of death everytime i boot up.I've used 11.5 since,screw the improvement.

I d'ont know if i'm doing something wrong or right but i never run driver cleaner/sweep or uninstall for the new drivers and ive always been fine on my 5770 and now CFX 5770s. Not sure what's going on for you guys

After 10.9 I think it might have been, I havent had a problem with an AMD driver yet. I did have an issue with CCC not working but I went in with Driver Sweeper and cleaned everything out and reinstalled the drivers and now CCC works just fine.

Think the problem is with Crossfire applications and not so much with single card's nowadays.

Why do people feel the need they have to announce to the world, just go.... be happy

Yes, just go to the company that has released 2 drivers that I can remember that caused video cards all over the world to fry. Good choice. Anyone remember the driver snafu that cooked FX5800 Ultras all over the world ( when they were still the flagship Nvidia card ) when YOUR SCREEN SAVER COMES ON then just last year Nvidia released yet ANOTHER driver causing all kinds of cards to fail, only last year's snafu wasn't confined to a single GPU but affected many different models.

You go ahead and enjoy the company that releases GPU cooking drivers and all of the AMD people will be happy with their few buggy drivers with no worries of losing their video card due to a driver issue so severe that it costs them their card.

Last edited:
I wish I could afford to just pack up and pick up 2 580s just because of driver issues :(

AMD user for years...never a single problem ever with single or dual card setups. Never one.

Unfortunately that's how it can go with AMD - sometimes you have to stick with older drivers. I think I've read something similar with nvidia drivers as well...use with caution?

Anyways, going nvidia myself next time I buy.(probably)

Can I have your old stuff?

How about you take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing, there is a very good chance you have screwed something up.

To keep you from having any more bad experiences, Go ahead and pack up your ATI/AMD cards and ship em to me where they will be dealt with accordingly.. They will be punished 24 hours a days until they die, tirelessly mining for Bitcoins..

This is a srs inquiry... Gimme.. :D

Countless times, on brand new clean install's I've had them BSOD the machine with system_service_exception. I've had dozens of updates fail with "install package error." How about these two bits of sloppy coding - first, certain update wouldn't install unless you changed the default directory to ATI instead of ATI technologies because of a few non-updated .dll's, and more recently the drivers don't install if your Microsoft visual C+++ package is a newer version than what comes bundled in the drivers.

I've done over 2 dozen new builds with 4xxx-6xxx ATI cards and I've never had a single issue like you describe. But at least now you'll be blaming your user error on nvidia instead.

You keep saying clean install like that is proof of something - but it doesn't mean anything with the same person at the helm causing the same problems.

I switch between nVidia and ATi all the time..

None of the issues you describe that have happened to me.

The only issue I had is the old nVxxx.sys/dll crash on nVidia..
The issue is almost fixed now, still happened, but very rare..

You either have a bad card, or you are just SOL...

I've never had any issues with AMD/ATI drivers. I've had various issues over the years with nVidia drivers though.

Yeah, I've had pretty much nothing but good experienced with ATI drivers. Sorry to hear you've had a bunch of problems on fresh installs. Something's not jiving in your hardware it seems. I'd double check cards are seated properly, run memory test on ram, update bios on mobo, update chipset drivers and look into other causes tbh. On a fresh install, ati drivers work fine on my machine. Even on a 1-year-6-monthish old install with several ati driver revisions having been installed they work fine. Mind you, I keep my bios up to date and leave my cpu/gpu at stock speeds most of the time.

yeah I've used countless AMD cards and havnt had issues like what your describing in years... but then all of those machines have been single card setups.

And CCC's handling of eyefinity profiles is annoyingly problematic, I've had to powershell script my way out of it.

but yeah, some questions:
how many hours stable is your 5GHz overclock?
Win XP?

anyways, I feel for ya.

It's funny because System Service Exception errors are 99% caused by other software. The drivers have nothing to do with it. Fix your PC first, then complain about AMD's drivers.

Your system service exception is due to your 5Ghz overclock. 100%. I had the same crashes recently and eventually was able to change my offset voltage and regain stability in my system. Your AMD drivers are getting corrupted after bsod crashes. You probably started getting the atikmdag or whatever crashes. Try running cinabench cpu test and see if you can get it to pass through 5x in a row. Whether you have nvidia now or amd you'll still likely to have problems. Don't be surprised if a voltage once tested as stable for your 5ghz overclock is no longer sufficient. I've had to up my voltage 2x so far. Seems the newer bioses are less stable than the original bios on my motherboard at least.

I must admit, when I overdid my overclock I was getting memory management errors instead, but yeah, suffice to say whenever I've fixed system service exception, it's not been through doing anything to the graphics drivers.

NVIDIA's latest "BF3" drivers crashed my box, would not finish install, felt lucky I got back to a desktop.

The moral is, just don't awesome switching teams will solve your issues.

AMD drivers are a lot better than they were a few years ago, but they still suck.

Make sure RAM and HD run fine and are in good condition as well as the PSU, scan for shitware, kill everything Realtek on your computer, go back to standard speeds to see if that's not what's causing it..?

No, go directly to raging and blaming the graphics drivers..

Don't switch to Nvidia. Switch to not posting.

PEBKAC, like usual. So easy to blame the drivers instead of looking at yourself in a mirror.

No problem here. Was using Quad-Fire 6990+6970+6970 3X30'' Eyefinity without a single problem...

Now have 5X 6970 in 2 computers ato home. Not a single problem.

PEBKAC.

Your system service exception is due to your 5Ghz overclock. 100%. I had the same crashes recently and eventually was able to change my offset voltage and regain stability in my system. Your AMD drivers are getting corrupted after bsod crashes. You probably started getting the atikmdag or whatever crashes. Try running cinabench cpu test and see if you can get it to pass through 5x in a row. Whether you have nvidia now or amd you'll still likely to have problems. Don't be surprised if a voltage once tested as stable for your 5ghz overclock is no longer sufficient. I've had to up my voltage 2x so far. Seems the newer bioses are less stable than the original bios on my motherboard at least.

Cinebench runs fine, it's 24 hour prime and OCCT intensive stable. I do overnight rendering jobs on it all the time. It's not the CPU. I never BSOD unless I'm installing ATI drivers.

Got the GTX 580's, drivers installed flawlessly, and all my performance issues with BF3 went away. Just how it's supposed to be.

Make sure RAM and HD run fine and are in good condition as well as the PSU, scan for shitware, kill everything Realtek on your computer, go back to standard speeds to see if that's not what's causing it..?

No, go directly to raging and blaming the graphics drivers..

Don't switch to Nvidia. Switch to not posting.

Please noob, do you think I didn't do that first?

Cinebench runs fine, it's 24 hour prime and OCCT intensive stable. I do overnight rendering jobs on it all the time. It's not the CPU. I never BSOD unless I'm installing ATI drivers.

Got the GTX 580's, drivers installed flawlessly, and all my performance issues with BF3 went away. Just how it's supposed to be.

What 580s did you get? :cool:

Any pics, i always like hardware pictures :D

I was bit by the Nvidia driver that killed cards due to it screwing up fan control. To this day whenever I install a video card driver I pop the case to make sure the fan is still running after. Don't always assume the other side is better.

Does AMD have issues? Yes, but along the same amount that I did with Nvidia. I just buy the best I can afford when the time comes as having allegiance to anything these days is pointless IMHO.

I have a laptop with the older AMD muxxed switchable GPU with an Intel IGP (aka, the most fucking insanely dificult to driver support).

I've been updating just fine with the mobility drivers... Simply install them right over the normal Sony provided set, and it all works out fine (download the actual driver package from AMD, and not the 2MB "downloader").

I can't believe you made a whole thread about this.

Either way I had a GTX 460 before my 6950 and at the time, the latest Nvidia drivers caused all sorts of screen/sky flickering in BC2... which I was playing a lot of. Now, I've never had any real issues I can think of with AMD, and I've owned a few of their cards in the past. Can't say the same about Nvidia.

boo-hoo beta driver has issues.

I can't believe you made a whole thread about this.

Either way I had a GTX 460 before my 6950 and at the time, the latest Nvidia drivers caused all sorts of screen/sky flickering in BC2... which I was playing a lot of. Now, I've never had any real issues I can think of with AMD, and I've owned a few of their cards in the past. Can't say the same about Nvidia.

boo-hoo beta driver has issues.

ATI is literally the worst with BC2. Google ATI Crash to Desktop. There are about two hundred programs you can't have running on your computer while you play BC2 or it hardlocks completely, among them pretty much every overclocking and system utility out there.

To this day, there are hundreds of poor schmucks out there who can't understand why they can't play BC2 for more than 10 minutes at a time without realizing it's because they installed MSI Afterburner, ATI Tool, etc.

When was the last time you checked though? Re-read my post. I did all the same battery of torture tests on my rig which has the same cpu as yours. After a while it was no longer stable at the same voltage that I was 24 hours prime stable etc...

If your going on your 2 month old burn in tests I'd suggest you check again to see if your stuff is stable or you need to up your voltage or offset voltage, depending on how your set up.

I just dumped AMD after spending a full day fixing their 11.8 driver. Their control center is bugged to hell, and sometimes it won't install.

Installed driver

Then my screen was scaled down, which required adjustment in CCC

Then I couldn't get into CCC without explorer crashing, therefore my plasma was burning in a reduced screen size

Then I went through multiple uninstall/driver sweeper/safemode/driver sweeper/registry clean

Then I tried system restore with no luck.

Then I reinstalled Windows

Then it worked.

Fuck AMD for now.

amd drivers have been flawless for me,even using a crossfire configuration,I too was getting the system_service_exception BSOD,turns out it was my OC,it was not as stable as I assumed,even though I could run IBT and prime95 for hours or even overnight,gaming would still cause that error sometimes.What I did was go back and redo my OC from scratch,solved all the problems and I have not had one BSOD since then.

At one time I was getting the display driver stopped responding message,on and older hd4870 ATI card,but it turned out to be a faulty card,RMA'd and the new one was perfect,no more error messages and I didn't even reinstall the drivers when I got the new card,Its sitting in my brothers PC right now still banging away and not one driver issue there either.

Maybe Nvidia drivers are more stupid proof,but as far as I am concerned AMD drivers work perfectly fine and have worked without a hitch since I have been using them,I have been ATI only since I upgraded from a 9500gt many years ago.

I've hated ATI drivers the past year. But after months I found it was a hardware problem. I had a shitty 5870 but it was so intermittent and it would only happen with certain games that I thought it was a driver issue.

Now that I have different 5870s I've noticed the drivers to be way better once I had stable hardware.Other then drivers 11.8 and 11.9 not working with swtor I've way better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back